Please sign in to post.

Itinerary Help German Christmas markets

I have analysis paralysis and need help with my Christmas market tour for dec 2023. I have a total of 17 nights starting in Munich and flying out of Düsseldorf. Now what to do between then?!? I know I want to spend a few days in Salzburg (do I need more than 2-3?) and then want to spend at least two days in Cologne. Any suggestions for the rest? Best markets?

Posted by
556 posts

The most famous market is Nuremberg. And talking about best ones I think depends on whom you ask.

Munich, Düsseldorf and Cologne and what else? What is catching you? Maritime Germany then go to Hamburg or Lübeck. A cool city like Berlin maybe? I would suggest check out photos or videos and decide what you like most.

Posted by
700 posts

Christmas markets are best enjoyed at night, which means you still need to fill your days. So what are your other interests? What would you want to see and do if you were visiting Germany and Austria another time of year? Are you traveling by car or train?

Posted by
8934 posts

Check out some of the Christmas Market Trip Reports. I do one every year. :-)

My favorite markets this year were Ravenna Gorge, Mainz, Frankfurt, Wiesbaden, Büdingen, Koblenz and the Christmas Garden. Other years I have enjoyed Straussburg, Stuttgart, Colmar, Marburg, Limburg, and Idstein.
Hopefully next year, will make it to Cologne, Dusseldorf, Dresden, Heidelberg, Worms and Speyer.

Posted by
20 posts

Also a good idea is checking out the videos of a Christmas Market crazy couple living in Munich :-) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dH1hz2kU5Mc (Munich) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEDGSseqtCc (Ravenna Gorge) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGLF5fbJTOY (Fraueninsel - Lake Chiemsee in Bavaria)

I’m watching your videos and now I just want to eat! The videos on Munich will be very helpful and crossing my fingers for snow while I’m there! I think Berlin might be too far out of the way if I’m traveling from Munich to Düsseldorf but if you think it’s an absolute must see then I might make the trek.

Posted by
20 posts

Check out some of the Christmas Market Trip Reports. I do one every year. :-)
My favorite markets this year were Ravenna Gorge, Mainz, Frankfurt, Wiesbaden, Büdingen, Koblenz and the Christmas Garden. Other years I have enjoyed Straussburg, Stuttgart, Colmar, Marburg, Limburg, and Idstein.
Hopefully next year, will make it to Cologne, Dusseldorf, Dresden, Heidelberg, Worms and Speyer.

I’ve read some of your reviews and they are great! I’m still very overwhelmed because I want to see everything and that’s just not possible to do. I saw that you like churches and cemeteries (me too!) what are some of your favorites?

Posted by
8934 posts

The main cemetery in Frankfurt is 270 acres and dates back to 1828 and includes the old Jewish cemetery on Rat Beil (where many of the Rothschild family are buried). We have a medieval Jewish cemetery that dates back to 1270. Worms has a Jewish cemetery that dates back to about 1000 - Heiige Sands.
For cathedrals, I like Mainz, Limburg, Marburg, Worms, Aachen, Speyer, Strassbourg, and Colmar.

Unusual or old churches, I like St. Justinus in Frankfurt Höchst (830) and St. Josephs, the Union Church in Idstein, Redeemer church in Bad Homburg, Johannes Church in Kronberg, the church in Gelnhausen, St. Goar church in St. Goar, the church in Eltville, the Basilica in Eberbach Monastery, Deutsche Orden in Frankfurt, St. Leonhards in Frankfurt and the Alte Nikolai in Frankfurt. (sorry, I forgot some of the names of these churches)

Posted by
4613 posts

https://community.ricksteves.com/travel-forum/trip-reports/christmas-markets-switzerland-france-germany-2019

Hopefully my Trip Report from 2019 may offer some helpful hints.

A few comments- perhaps edit your title to be more specific, such as Christmas markets in Germany? You may get more comments, altho Mrs. Jo is the acknowledged expert on the subject, and I planned my trip leaning heavily on her input. Do search for her earlier reports.

I found hotels fully booked by June, especially the moderately prices ones near the city centers, and on weekends.

iMHO, the markets not to be missed are Esslingen , Stuttgart , and Colmar/ Strasbourg. The little train jaunt into the corner of France is well worth it, and you're not far from Stuttgart. There are so many more to see.

I love Rothenburg, but the markets are small, but I was happy just being in this charming town.

For serious shopping, do so in the daytime, before the crowds. The locals arrive after work, and that's when the crowding really increases. So shop and eat the wonderful foods before the crowds arrive, then walk around in the dark enjoying the lights. Note that it isn't light before 8am, and it's dark around 4:30pm.

Have a magical trip!

Posted by
20 posts

https://community.ricksteves.com/travel-forum/trip-reports/christmas-markets-switzerland-france-germany-2019
Hopefully my Trip Report from 2019 may offer some helpful hints.
A few comments- perhaps edit your title to be more specific, such as Christmas markets in Germany? You may get more comments, altho Mrs. Jo is the acknowledged expert on the subject, and I planned my trip leaning heavily on her input. Do search for her earlier reports.
I found hotels fully booked by June, especially the moderately prices ones near the city centers, and on weekends.
iMHO, the markets not to be missed are Esslingen , Stuttgart , and Colmar/ Strasbourg. The little train jaunt into the corner of France is well worth it, and you're not far from Stuttgart. There are so many more to see.
I love Rothenburg, but the markets are small, but I was happy just being in this charming town.
For serious shopping, do so in the daytime, before the crowds. The locals arrive after work, and that's when the crowding really increases. So shop and eat the wonderful foods before the crowds arrive, then walk around in the dark enjoying the lights. Note that it isn't light before 8am, and it's dark around 4:30pm.
Have a magical trip!

Thanks for the advice on changing the title! I do have Colmar on the radar (as well as so many others) it’s so hard to choose where to go!

Posted by
138 posts

Check out Dresden! Lots of first class museums to see during the day, and multiple Christmas markets for later. The “Streizelmarkt” is the oldest in Germany. BTW It gets dark by 4:00 pm.