Please sign in to post.

Itinerary help

My family of four (husband and 2 kids - 18 & 20) are lucky enough to be visiting Munich, Strasbourg & Lucerne/Zurich for 10 days in late July. I know this is the German board so I'll try to focus there. *Before I get started, an important question... Will there be wine (Mosel Reisling is my favorite) at beer halls and in general? Beer gives me migraines but I want to drink with my family :)

here's the general plan:

1 (Thursday)- Arrive at about 10:00 in Munich. Check in and explore the city. We will be staying close to Hofbäuhaus in Munich so I think we will end the day there but I'm looking for a close, interesting place that travel weary people can enjoy. They are so close I'm thinking Residenz and Marienplatz?
2- Rothenburg ob der Tauber (summer fair) - I've discussed in another thread the pluses and minuses of this. It's far away and will be packed - but will be packed with interesting things and happy people :)
3- Munich all day - need *suggestions. Nymphenburg, Englischer Garten, Detsches Museum, what Church or Cathedral should we see?
4- Dachau then Bmw museum - can we do these in one day or should we switch things from day 3 & 4
5- Neuschwanstein - so I was going to make this a day trip BUT I'm considering leaving Munich a day early and staying in Fussen for 1 night so we can see other things in addition to Neuschwanstein. *Suggestions?
6- Train to Strasbourg - evening in Strasbourg
7- My husband's family is from Diersheim Germany (traced back to 1580!) so we will stay in Strasbourg and take a trip to Diersheim for a short stop then I need *suggestions on what else to do in the area - Freidburg? What else? Private tour that would be willing to take us to Diersheim or rental car?
8- train to Lucerne - not sure what we're thinking once we get there...
9- Mt Pilatus Golden Round Trip - what else?
10- In Zurich for the day & night - not sure what we'll do yet

Ok, lots to read... Any help is extremely appreciated!

Oh! What will the weather be? It looks like mid to low 80s but will it be humid at all?

Thanks in advance!!
House Family

Posted by
19654 posts

Fear not, Germans drink wine. Munich is definitely beer country, but just a couple of hours north (or one hour on the ICE Sprinter) is the Franconia region of Bavaria and that is very much wine country. In fact they will be selling bottles of Frankenwein at the markets in Rothenburg.
Strasbourg is also serious wine country, but also the home of France's best breweries.
In Switzerland, drink the local Fendant, it goes especially well with fondue. Very hard to find in the States. Dole is a good Swiss red.

Posted by
4684 posts

If you are looking for Mosel wine in Munich try the "Pfalzer Weinstube", which is in the Residenz palace. (The Bavarian royal family were feudal overlords of much of the Palatinate for a time as well.) They also do a nice flammekuche. There are a wide range of wines by the glass and a bigger range of bottles (warning, some are seriously expensive).

Posted by
149 posts

Hi Amy!

If you're staying in Fussen for a night and need some other activities, you could take a cable car ride up to the top of Tegelberg Mountain. We did this in May and enjoyed some time at the top of that mountain watching the paragliders take off. We also enjoyed some beer up top while enjoying the scenery.

There's also a luge ride at the base of the mountain although we did not take any rides.

You could also rent bikes and take a ride around the lake, I think.

Finally, you could always hop in a car and head down to Austria. My husband and I spent time some time at the Ehrenberg Castle ruins - on a clear day you will see all sorts of mountains around you. It's quite a hike up on a good wide, packed earth trail. The Castle ruins are connected by a suspension bridge to the ruins on another hill/peak. We took the bridge over. This day trip may not be for everyone but we enjoyed hiking around the ruins.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ehrenberg_Castle

Finally, you could enjoy Neuschwanstein and Hohenswangau (I think I spelled those correctly!) and spend a down afternoon poking around in Fussen and enjoy an afternoon Coffee and Cake.

Happy Travels!
Amy K.

Posted by
54 posts

Thanks all for the tips on wine in Munich - I'm wondering if anyone has any feedback about the itinerary :)

here's the general plan:

Day 1 (Thursday)- Arrive at about 10:00 in Munich. Check in and explore the city. We will be staying close to Hofbäuhaus in Munich so I think we will end the day there but I'm looking for a close, interesting place that travel weary people can enjoy. They are so close I'm thinking Residenz and Marienplatz?

Day 2- Rothenburg ob der Tauber (summer fair) - I've discussed in another thread the pluses and minuses of this. It's far away and will be packed - but will be packed with interesting things and happy people :)
Day 2 OPTION - Regensburg? What should we do here?

Day 3- Munich all day - need *suggestions. Nymphenburg, Englischer Garten, Detsches Museum, what Church or Cathedral should we see?

Day 4- Dachau then Bmw museum - can we do these in one day or should we switch things from day 3 & 4

Day 5- Neuschwanstein - so I was going to make this a day trip BUT I'm considering leaving Munich a day early and staying in Fussen for 1 night so we can see other things in addition to Neuschwanstein. *Suggestions?

Day 6 we'll head to Strasbourg...