Please sign in to post.

Itinerary Help

Hello, traveling to Germany end of March and first week of April. I'm interested in feedback on the following itinerary. Can insight also be provided for weather in Southern Germany? Also, is it best to attempt to take the train for this itinerary or rent a car? Thanks for the advice!

Day #1 Fly into Munich arrive 730am and visit Neuschwanstein Palace - lodging in and around Berchtesgaden?
Day #2 Herrenchiemsee Palace and Berchtesgaden (Hitler's Eagles Nest, Documentation Center) and depart to Salzburg
Day #3 Salzburg
Day #4 Salzburg and drive to Prague
Day #5 Prague
Day #6 Depart Prague and drive to Bolesławiec, Poland to shop for Polish Pottery (maybe visit Boleslawiec and lodge in Germany?)
Day #7 Depart Bolesławiec (or German border town?) and drive to Dresden (WWII history?) or some other recommended stop along the way to Nuremburg
Day #8 Nuremburg - WWII sites then return to Munich
Day #9 Munich - BMW Factory and Dachau?
Day #10 Munich - Easter Sunday (what to do on this holiday in Munich?)
Day # 11 Depart Munich 12pm

Posted by
102 posts

I've visited most of the places on your list more then once in all cases.. Suspect this itinery could be done. Feel you've set goals with study and thought. Have you been in any of these cities or sites before? If you have, then this schedule could be OK. If not might I say this could be leaving out some really good places close to key spots. On day 8, for example there is an excellent Documentation center too, plus a marvel of a German history center (though mainly detailed in german on items), also the DB rail history museum is wonderful and close by. Lots more in Nuremberg too.
If this were me, I'd stay at least three full days in Nuremberg. Munich needs three or four days easily. Prague a week. Salzburg three days... Anyway, that gives more time for some deep study of course, which is my style. Or you may have been here before. Or you plan on return visits. Two or three more perhaps? Overall it depends on what you want, as this looks like quick highlight trip. Again I like to stay two or three nights in one place. I'm not good at the single night, move-on approach, yet it may suit you perfectly. Time often is tight and planning to return has always worked for me. Good luck.

Posted by
2700 posts

If you are flying from North America, I think you've planned way too much for day one. Do you know how you handle jet lag? You'll have to handle the logistics of getting from the Munich airport by car or train/bus to Neuschwanstein, which is southwest of Munich (get your tickets in advance online), tour the castle, then drive to Berchtesgaden, which is southeast of Munich. I don't think there is any way to pull this off without renting a car. If you aren't tired when you get off the plane, you probably will be by the time you leave for Berchtesgaden, so it may not be safe for you to be driving.

I've only been to a couple of the other places you are going, so I can't comment on the rest of your itinerary, except to say it is pretty fast paced. Do you have to drive to Poland just to shop for pottery (as beautiful as it is)? You could free up a day to spend more time somewhere else, such as Prague or Nuremburg, if you eliminated that stop.

Posted by
32517 posts

As you are traveling on Good Friday and Easter Monday as well as Easter Day, it might be worth while ensuring that attractions you are interested in will be open to tourists when you would like them to be.

Posted by
2375 posts

If you are visiting cities, use trains.

As mentioned, you are doing too much the first day, even if you flight is on time - 5 of my last 8 transatlantic flights have been late, the last two to Germany from a few hours to a day late.

Posted by
32171 posts

ms,

A few thoughts and comments.......

• Day 1 - Although you may arrive in Munich at 07:30, it will probably be closer to 09:30 or so by the time you get to the Hbf. Are you planning to take your luggage with you to Neuschwanstein? Arriving in Munich, travelling from Munich to Füssen and back, and then getting to Berchtesgaden is very ambitious (especially while suffering from jet lag). You might consider staying at least your first night in Munich.
  • Day 2 - I don't know about Herrenchiemsee Palace, but your plans to visit the Eagles Nest may or may not be possible at the end of March. You'll need to access the elevator to the Eagle's Nest via a mountain road, and if it's been a bad year for snow it may not be open at that time. The Dokumentation Center & Bunkers should be open (displays are in German, so rent an Audioguide), and as I recall there's a Salt Mine tour in Berchtesgaden as well. That's a lot to do in one day and I'm not sure if it will be possible to get to all the sights on your list?
  • Day 4 - I've never driven that route, but I believe the driving time will be at least five hours, and of course you'd have to deal with parking once you arrive there. Using a rental car would be fine with lots of time, but it wouldn't be my choice with such a rushed trip. Trains will generally be faster and more efficient (especially the high speed trains, where possible).
  • Day 10 - If it's open that day, the excellent Deutsches Museum would definitely be a worthwhile place to visit. There's also the famous Hofbrauhaus if you don't mind watching a lot of tourists over imbibing while listening to oom-pah music.

Overall, this seems like a very ambitious Itinerary given the distance and the number of locations you're trying to cover in such a short time frame.

Posted by
8934 posts

Easter holidays are going to need some work around. Good Friday and Easter Sunday are official holidays in Germany with many tourist attractions being closed, as well as stores. Check to see if the places you want to visit on those days are open.

How will you get your heavy Polish pottery home?