Please sign in to post.

Family Itinerary Help - 14 nights 2019

While this trip isn’t until 2019 we have been planning and reading and planning some more. Before we know it flights will be out so it is time to get a plan together. I am sure I will be back with even more questions later to get your thoughts but for now I thought I leave this here to get some feedback. Our daughter graduates from high school next year. We have offered to take her anywhere in Europe. The only rule was no Paris as we did that last year. She has decided on two places she wants to see after months of Rick Steves videos and reading guides. As of last night she has announced she wants to go to Berlin and see Salzburg with a side trip to Berchtesgaden for the Eagles Nest and Obersalzberg Documents Center. The distance is a bit overwhelming but doable I am sure.

She would like to see one concentration camp either Dachau or Sachsenhausen. She also wouldn’t mind seeing some castles but doesn’t seem fussed at to which ones. Oh and she wants to go down a luge. Lol My husband and I like to hike but this isn’t our trip. If it was ours we may not have picked Berlin and stayed south but she has a list of interest there and it seems like a great city for history.

We are not opposed to renting a car and have looked at options such as going from Berlin to Bacharach down to Rothenburg to Munich to Salzberg or Berlin to Munich possible over night or two in Nürnberg on to Munich down to Salzberg. Fussen has been mentioned or even Garmish. There is just too much.

We try to have longer stays in most regions when we travel as opposed to one night stays so we know we can’t do it all. I am curious as to what you all think might be our best recourse in filling the 14 nights keeping in mind we will have a 19 year old with us and it is about her so Berlin and Salzburg stay. Her interest typically are art, history, and funnily enough animals. We will fly into one city from London which should be easy enough and out another. We pack light and really enjoy immersing ourselves. Thank you in advance for your time and thoughts!

Posted by
2427 posts

Fly to Berlin, then train to Munich and On to Salzburg. Fly out of Munich. For more, look at places to stay in the Berlin to Munich route, such as Bamberg

Posted by
107 posts

Leaving in a week and a half on a similar family trip. Flying into Berlin and out of Munich as others have said. We're doing 4 nights in Berlin, 3 in Prague, 2 in Salzburg and 4 in Munich. Train between Berlin-Prague and Salzburg-Munich. We're using Daytrip (http://mydaytrip.com) between Prague and Salzburg to tack on stops at Český Krumlov and Hallstatt along the way.

Posted by
166 posts

Hi Edtravels and Stephen- Thank you so much for your input. I don think into Berlin and out of Munich is the way to go. Edtravels - the car service looks interesting. I was thinking we would rent a car out of Munich and go south and over to Salzburg. I am going to keep researching. Thanks again for your feedback!