Please sign in to post.

Itinerary Feedback

Hi everyone,

I am planning a trip in the beginning of July and would like some feedback on my thoughts around the itinerary. I'm glad I found this site as I have tampered down my expectations on what I should try and see quite a bit. I will have 8 full days on the ground, departing on the 9th day. While I know the train would be more efficient I plan on renting a car as I believe we would enjoy the drive through some of these areas, especially if we stay off the Autobahn. I know this is sort of spread out but I really wanted to see Munich and Berlin in this trip.

Saturday - Land in Frankfurt early and drive to Munich.

Sun - Munich

Mon - Day trip to Salzburg (sleep in Munich)

Tuesday - Day trip to Castle Neuschwanstein and Linderhof Palace (sleep in Munich)

Wednesday - Drive to Dachau then jump on the Romantic Road (should I stay over in Rothenburg / Wurzburg or even continue Nurnberg?)

Thursday - Finish drive to Berlin (sleep in Berlin)

Fri / Sat - Berlin (turn in car)

Sunday - Train to Frankfurt and fly back

Is this too much?

Thanks!

Posted by
19649 posts

I guess first thought would be to fly into Munich and out from Berlin. That would basically give you 2 extra days. Then only rent the car for the days between Munich and the night before heading to Berlin. Cars are pretty much useless in Munich, Salzburg, and Berlin. You could visit Dachau on Tuesday, then rent a car on Wednsday to go to Neuschwanstein and continue on the Romantic Road.

Posted by
1217 posts

Yes, it is too much. If you really want to see Munich and Berlin than I suggest you do exactly that. Assuming your flights are already purchased - when you land take the train to Munich and then when done with the Munich area a train to Berlin with a train back to Frankfurt for your flight home. I took a guided tour to Dachau from Munich quite easily though it does take up most of one day. If you haven't purchased your flights yet than do open jaw into one city and out of the other.