Please sign in to post.

Itinerary check

Can you help me make sure I am doing my days right, please?

Heading to Germany in late June with 3 boys, 13-16-18. We are not museum folks, though do enjoy one like Deutsches Museum in Munich.

We have been to Germany/Austria once before and hit Munich, Passau, Melk, Vienna, Ertl (to stay with friends), Salzburg (and lake region), Garmisch area sites, and Legoland. Always good to change it up and do a variety of things when traveling with kids. The boys like to hike, enjoy nature, and explore cities, churches etc. Pretty easy going kids. Keep them fed and daily sweet treats and they are good to go! All 3 take German in school so they are familiar with the language. They love opportunities to mix with the locals and escape typical tourist now and then. This trip is our oldest's graduation present, so his priorities are Prague, Dresden (their German teacher's mom lived here all her life), and Berlin. Bamberg area is added in for variety and there are several things of interest to everyone in that area.

Here is our rough itinerary.

Frankfurt - arrival day, sleep 1 night
Bamberg and surrounding area - 5 nights
Prague - 3 nights
Dresden - 2 nights
Berlin - 5 nights - fly out of Berlin

Detail if interested (not all planned yet - work in progress)

June 21 - leave US

June 22, really early - arrive Frankfurt - then spend day seeing major sites, lunch with a friend - rest etc (not a lot of interest in Frankfurt so we will see what we see and not worry too much about what we miss).

June 23 - drive to Bamberg after breakfast -spend most of the day visiting Wurzburg - check into apartment around 4-5pm

June 24, 25, 26 - visit what we can focusing on Bamberg, Bayreuth, Nuremburg, & Rothenberg. Add Regensberg or Amberg if need other spots.

June 27 - get up and drive to Prague with a stop in Pilsen for my beer loving hubby. Check in to apt in Prague - spend what is left of the day exploring Prague. Hoping to get apt in Old Town if I can figure out parking.

June 28 & June 29 - Prague exploring

June 30 - leave Prague after breakfast and drive to Dresden. Spend day exploring Dresden

July 1 - explore Dresden

July 2 - leave Dresden after breakfast, head to Berlin. Stop off and visit Spreewald in Lubbnau. Arrive Berlin. Whatever is left of the day to explore Berlin

July 3, 4, 5, 6 - explore Berlin with one day heading over to Potsdam. If get bored with Berlin or tired of city life, can do a day trip to Schwerin Castle.

July 7 - fly home out of Berlin

Sorry such a long post. I look forward to all of your suggestions and ideas. I am most concerned about balancing my time between Prague, Dresden, and Berlin. Bamberg area apartment is booked and therefore set. Have not yet booked Prague or beyond.

Thank you!!!!!
Suzi

Posted by
1522 posts

Not too much feedback. Your schedule for 23-26 June include most of my favorite cities in Germany. Hope that you get as much pleasure out of them as I do. Try to leave time for an Eiscafe (ice cream cafe) here and there.

Posted by
9140 posts

While in Berlin, you might want to head over to Sachenhausen Concentration Camp. Your boys are old enough to understand what was going on here. Visit the Olympic Stadium, which the boys might enjoy. Do some bike tours with them.

There is a fest at the Alte Oper in Frankfurt that begins on 22 June. Good place to eat. Have the boys climb the steeple of the Kaiserdom, or you can take an elevator to the top of the Main Tower. Consider stopping at the Jewish Holocaust Remembrance Wall. If they have read Anne Franks diary, you can find her name here, as well as her sister Margot and mother Edith.

Posted by
14758 posts

Hi,

Great that your boys are taking German at school, even better that the high school for the middle one has a German language program. Are they into history? If so, which period or topic? You'll be in the historical places in Berlin, Dresden, Lubbenau, Potsdam, Prague, Pilsen,