Please sign in to post.

Itinerary Advice Please

Will use Nuremberg as home base for a few days in December. Where are some good day trips?? Will certainly be going to Regensburg but what else is noteworthy? Is there the availability for a short cruise on the Danube by boat maybe? TIA.

Posted by
7556 posts

I went to Bamberg as well as Regensburg and loved it. It was a beautiful and charming town with a lot to see and do. Another possibility is Wurzburg, which was high on my list, but I could only go to two places. So next time for me. But either of those would be good choices for a day trip, and both are very close by train.

Posted by
3249 posts

Bamberg is enchanting and they have a wonderful Christmas market.

Posted by
5138 posts

Wurtzburg and Rothenberg are both easy day trips from Nurmberg.

Posted by
85 posts

We just did our usual day trip from Nuremberg to Bamberg. We've never seen so many people there as this year,but it is a charming place to visit. We visited the rose garden near the residenz and there were more peop!e from tours there than we've ever seen. Its become a popular place to visit. My husband and son loved the smoke beer. I hope you enjoy your time in the area. We certainly do.

Posted by
7556 posts

Here's a day cruise possibility from Regensburg on the Danube. It was recommended on Trip Advisor but I have not taken it. You could check it out. It's in German, so you will need to use Google Translate in a Chrome browser, or something similar to translate.

https://schifffahrtklinger.de/schifffahrt-regensburg-weltenburg/

FWIW, here is the description in English that might help. Keep in mind all cruises like this are dependent on water levels and could be cancelled.

From mid-June, every Saturday we set sail for a day trip to Weltenburg, to the oldest monastery brewery in the world. Our trip begins at the Dultplatz in Regensburg and leads past the Mariaort pilgrimage church through the beautiful landscape of the Regensburg area.

Shortly before the spa town of Bad Abbach, we pass a lock before our ship docks in Kelheim. In Kelheim you will board one of our colleagues' ships from the Kelheim fleet. Shortly after Kelheim you can enjoy the unique natural spectacle of the Danube Gorge to the fullest.

At the deepest and narrowest point of the Bavarian Danube, rock formations rising up to 80 meters out of the water line the path through the "Weltenburger Enge" nature reserve - one of the most beautiful and spectacular river landscapes in Bavaria. The mighty river flows between the limestone rock walls for a distance of around five kilometers.

After this impressive tour, you will reach Weltenburg Monastery, the oldest abbey in Bavaria. Incomparably beautiful, right on the river, beer has been brewed here since 1050 in the oldest monastery brewery in the world.

Enjoy the popular bottom-fermented specialty beer "Barock Dunkel" and Bavarian delicacies in the shady beer garden in the monastery courtyard. After this refreshment, we highly recommend a visit to the famous and beautiful church of the Asam brothers, which is one of the top examples of European Baroque.

Posted by
6923 posts

Mardee, did you find options in December? I see cruises into mid-October at your linked site but not afterward.

Posted by
184 posts

1hr North of Nuremberg in the triangle Nuremberg Bamberg Bayreuth there is theso called Franconian Switzerland

With the highest density of breweries in Germany and cute villages with castles like Pottenstein and Gössweinstein
to name only two of many

Worth more than just a daytour

Christmas Market in Goessweinstein this year 13-15 Dec