Please sign in to post.

Is Neue Nationalgalarie closed until 2019?

OUCH!!

Is it true the Neue National Galarie is closed until 2019??

What else will be closed in October of this year? I know about the Pergamon Altar...I understand that the Asian galarie is also closed.

I may have to bring my own crayons and find a nice place on a sidewalk somewhere....

Thank you,

The Travel-Junkie 3PO

Posted by
4684 posts

Yes, the Neue Nationalgalerie is closed until at least 2019 for major structural repairs and, as you know, parts of the Pergamon Museum are being closed in rotation until the mid-2020s for a complete reconstruction and extension. But everything else is open and there are lots of other art museums and galleries in the city.

Posted by
27110 posts

I thought the Pergamon was worthwhile in 2015 even with the altar not accessible. The Ishtar Gate is something else.

Berlin has a lot of good art museums. Whether any of them will make up for the closure of the Neue Nationalgalerie depends on what periods of art you enjoy. Be sure you know what all your options are.

I enjoyed the Museum Berggruen in Charlottenburg and the Gemaldegalerie at the Kulturforum.

I see that InYourPocket has a Berlin guide online. The IYP guides are usually updated every 3 or 4 months, and the ones I've looked at for Poland and Ukraine have been good about mentioning current temporary exhibitions, which is particularly useful information when you're planning visits to art galleries. They've also generally been accurate about hours of operation.