Please sign in to post.

International Driver's License

I will be renting a car through Hertz, for travel to Belgium, Germany and France in May, 2016. The Hertz rep has strongly suggested (although it is not a requirement) that I secure an International Driver's License/Permit for the duration. Does anyone have any experience in this matter? Thanks.

Posted by
671 posts

Last summer we rented a car in France. Although an International Driver's License was not required, my husband got one just in case. You can get it at AAA, and it cost about $15. He never had to show it.

Posted by
809 posts

I've gotten an IDP for any journey when I rent a car. The permit is a translation of your driver's license [so you need to bring that as well, not just the IDP]. I got mine at our local AAA, for something like $15 and two passport-sized photos. I never had to produce it - but I have almost never had to produce my US driver's license when driving in the States, either. So listen to the Hertz rep and get one. And have a great time!

Posted by
2261 posts

Just get it. It is required in France and while some may disagree (there are numerous previous threads on this that you can search) you should simply imagine yourself involved in a fender bender-or worse-in a little French village and trying to explain to the Gendarme who speaks no English that you heard that carrying a translation of your license was not "required". Just get it.

It is also useful as a second photo I.D. without having to give up your passport at museums, etc., for example when renting an audio tour player.

Posted by
44 posts

We have had to show ours in Holland, France, and Italy. It is easy to get at AAA. Better safe than sorry.

Posted by
7029 posts

Whether it's required or just recommended it's such a small price in relation to your trip that I say: just go get one. It's better to have one and not need it than to need it and not have one. Just one less thing to worry about. I had one when I drove in France and I never actually had to show it, despite being involved in a multi-car bumper thumper at a round-a-bout. The police were called and didn't speak English (or at least claimed to not) but didn't ask for my license or IDP, all they were concerned about was the exchange of insurance information and if I had it, which I did on the rental car. Despite not needing it at that time I would still get one if planning to drive again in Europe.

By the way, it's not a translation of your driver's license, it's a statement in several languages that your current home DL is active and legitimate. You need to show your home DL when getting the IDP at AAA offices so they can truthfully attest to that.

Posted by
2261 posts

It's funny but this is one of those topics that just go and go...I have understood it to be a translation, and that's what the AAA site says, but who really knows? ;-)

Your IDP is a valid form of identification in 150 countries worldwide and contains your name, photo and driver information. It translates your identification information into 10 languages — so it speaks the language even if you don't. Most countries highly recommend an International Driving Permit.

And Nancy, it is hilarious that they did not even request I.D.-after all this discussion!

http://www.aaa.com/vacation/idpf.html

Posted by
7209 posts

And since AAA doesn't over much anymore that's useful other than the IDP at least you'll be supporting your local AAA ;-)

Posted by
2906 posts

I get an IDP every time we travel to Germany and Austria and rent a car. In 9 trips, I've never been asked for it. I figure better safe than sorry, and will continue to get one for future trips. $20 is barely a blip on our over all trip cost.

Posted by
32202 posts

kd,

To begin with, one point to clarify.....

I don't believe there's any such thing as an "International Driver's License". The correct term is International Driver's Permit, and these are not a license per se, but must be used in conjunction with your home D.L. (so you'll have to pack that too). The I.D.P. provides a translation of the terms of your home license, and provides picture I.D. to link that with your license.

The rules in France are that it's highly advisable to have either a certified translation of your Driver's License or an I.D.P., as shown on THIS website from the U.S. Embassy (Section A, second paragraph). While it may not be compulsory in the other countries, it would certainly be a good idea. For the small cost and ease of obtaining an I.D.P., it would seem like a "no brainer".

Posted by
5382 posts

The rental agency won't require an IDP, but the police will! Better safe than sorry.

Posted by
433 posts

To save a few bucks, I got my IDP at our local BCAA office by mail and got the passport type photos done online. Snap a selfie, uploaded to a site for resizing and download the jpeg file. Took it to a drug store and printed it all for 25 cents. Otherwise, I was quoted anywhere from 12-20 dollars for the pics.

Posted by
27 posts

Its required in a few countries to drive with a non-EU drivers license. I think Germany still doesnt, but I am not sure. Just drop by any AAA and theyll do it for like 10$.

Posted by
4152 posts

An IDP is not a legally recognized form of I.D. unless it's accompanied by your actual drivers license. It's a simple translation of the terms of your license. It is not a license and cannot be substituted for one. It's better to get one than to not have it. I know that in Italy it's legally required if you don't have an EU license. I plan to get mine for our trip this fall to Berlin and Nuremburg.

Donna