Please sign in to post.

Hotels in Munich?

Hi everyone, our plans are finally starting to take shape. I am flying into Munich with my two teens for two nights, taking the train to Augsburg for a violin competition for my son, and then taking the train to Haarem (near Amsterdam) for four days before flying home to the US. I have our accommodations booked for every stage of our trip except the two days in Munich.

There seem to be plenty of options in Munich, but I would love some guidance. Our plan is to stay rather central so that my son can practice but also have time to sightsee a bit. Having convenient restaurants, a nice safe area, and things near us for my daughter and I to do are my top priorities. Price is important too since we will be getting two rooms (a double and a single), but I am a little high maintenance too so want to make sure we are really comfortable. The three areas I am considering are Marienplatz, Hauptbahnhof, and Ostbahnhof. I am thinking maybe Marienplatz would be better/safer/more upscale. Is that correct? Options we are looking at in order of prices for 2 rooms for two nights including breakfast (most expensive to least expensive) are:

Hotel Torbräu - $960 with breakfast
Platzl Hotel - $957 with breakfast
Design Hotel Stadt Rosenheim - $612 without breakfast + $84 breakfast = $696 with breakfast
Hotel Metropol - $660 with breakfast
Marc München - $655 with breakfast
Hotel Blauer Bock - $615 with breakfast (may not have rooms with two twin beds available)
Hotel am Viktualienmarkt - $592 with breakfast (may not have rooms with two twin beds available)
Boutique Hotel Splendid-Dollmann - $497 without breakfast (may not have rooms with two twin beds available)

I could be missing a good option too. These are all from Booking.com and are the nonrefundable rates. One last consideration is ease of transportation. We are flying into the Munich area, but departing on train to Augsburg. Any and all suggestions/opinions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!

Posted by
2602 posts

I stayed at Hotel Metropol last May and it was absolutely wonderful--my room was very spacious, with a desk and sitting area, nicely furnished, comfy bed, good-sized bathroom, very clean and quiet. The breakfast was one of the most lavish spreads I've ever encountered, and the front desk staff was great--I arrived in a terrible state of back pain and they helped me get situated and find an apothecary right away. I loved being so close to the Hauptbahnhof and used it daily for trams, buses, U, S and the trains for 2 day trips. Anything you might need is right there--I got lost a few times wandering the shopping areas. It's a 2 block walk to the hotel and I never felt unsafe even walking there alone at night. It was also close to Marienplatz if I wanted to walk there. I used the Lufthansa Airport bus that lets you off on the opposite side of the Hbf, very convenient arriving and departing this way.

Posted by
3240 posts

We were very happy with the Blauer Bock in October 2015. There are a number of good restaurants close to the hotel. The Munich branch of the Eataly chain is now across the street from the hotel - when we were there it was under construction. It was quite close to the Viktualienmarkt.

We walked from the train station to the hotel on arrival, and we walked to and from the train station for a day trip to Nuremberg - but it was a bit of a hike. We took a cab to the station when we left town. We used the Hop On/Hop Off bus to get around, and that was fine for the short time we were there.

Surprisingly, my favorite site in Munich was BMW World and the Museum. It was like the Tate Modern with cars.

Posted by
19092 posts

In nearly twenty years of finding rooms in Germany, I have found that a booking website, like Booking.com, only features the most expensive properties. There are a lot of lower priced, very comfortable and safe hotels not listed on a booking website.

I have never stayed at Pension Lindner, but I plan to try it on my next visit to Munich; travelers on this site who have report favorable experiences. It is just a few blocks from Marienplatz. Two double rooms for two nights would be 460€, less than anyplace you have listed. There is also a three bed option or a single room without ensuite bathroom (in combo with a double room with ensuite bathroom) for less. Pension Lindner includes a traditional German breakfast buffet

As far as accommodations in Germany are concerned, I have never stayed in a place I didn't feel was safe or that was not clean and well maintained. The Germans have a high standard. Even at a hotel a few blocks from the Hbf, travelers here report that it is a somewhat "interesting" site, with sex shops on the same street, but even there, no one has reported feeling unsafe.

Posted by
148 posts

Thanks to all of you for the great advise so far! I will check out all three of the places you each recommended. Booking.com does not show twin beds available at Hotel Blauer Bock, so I am going to call them tomorrow, as well as the other two places. I found for our Augsburg Hotel that the price I received by calling was less than Booking.com (not surprising) but also less than the price on the actual hotel's website. I'm not sure if that's typical, but I definitely plan to always call now, just in case.

Traylaparks, thanks for recommending the BMW World and Museum. That is definitely on our list now - my kids will both love that!!

Christa, can anyone take the Lufthansa bus or only people who fly Lufthansa? Do you remember the approximate cost? Also, do you know if there are Ubers in Munich, and if so, approximate cost of an Uber from the airport to the center of Munich?

Lee, good to know about the safety in Germany. Also, that's a great idea to not confine myself to Booking.com. I will dig around the forum for more ideas, and will definitely check into the Pension Lindner.

Thanks again everyone!

Posted by
2326 posts

(1) can anyone take the Lufthansa bus or only people who fly Lufthansa? Do you remember the approximate cost? (2) Also, do you know if there are Ubers in Munich, and if so, approximate cost of an Uber from the airport to the center of Munich?

(1) Yes. A single ticket is €10.50 pp (children up to 14 yo 5.50). But that covers a single ride to the train station (Hauptbahnhof / Hbf.) only. In comparison, a MVV airport-city group day ticket (€24.30) is valid to any destination in the entire MVV area, on any means of transport (S-Bahn, U-Bahn, tram, bus) and for any number of trips until 6am next morning. There is a S-Bahn every 10 minutes (S1 and S8 alternating).

So the LH bus (departes every 15 min) is worth it only under specific circumstances, i.e. if your destination is the Hbf und you don't plan any other rides same day or if your destination is Munich Schwabing (between the airport and the Hbf).

(2) No Uber in Germany. A taxi ride from the airport to the center is approx €70.

BTW, for a cheaper alternative to your hotel in Augsburg I'd search the web site of Augsburg tourism or email them for help (tell them that your son will be participating in the violin competition!).

Posted by
32704 posts

To elaborate on the answer just above from sla019, that MVV Airport-City Day Ticket for €24.30 is valid for the whole family - a group up to 5 people, 2 children counting as one person, for the whole day and overnight.

also -

Many, if not most, Germans also use HRS Hotel app or website for booking hotels. Originally for business travellers it still has a business feel, but offers normal people good deals, often on short notice if necessary, and is easily searched. The depth of coverage is huge. The app goes to English automatically if that's how your phone is set up, and the website has a setting and a cookie which keeps it in English, and the currency of your choice (I always use the currency of the hotel location). I use it a lot, cross checking with booking dot com, and checking the websites of individual hotels too. Only down side if you use the app and don't speak much German, is that the reviews are in the language they were written in so could be a bit difficult to scan. Even if you sort by "Your Language First" you will likely get few if any in English. If you use the website you can use Google Translate and get most of the way there. I speak a fair amount of German so no problems. Even if you don't read them you can see the scores and how they were built up.

Posted by
19092 posts

You seem to be interested in staying near Marienplatz, which is a stop on the S-Bahn (either S1 or S8). Even is one of your sons is under 15, a Partner Day Ticket, for 24,30€, which includes unlimited travel on any conveyance of the MVV, would be less than three tickets for the Lufthansa bus, and would get you all the way to the Marienplatz station without a change of vehicles.

Although I would take the S-Bahn (have many times), some people would consider taking the bus with your own seat and going with only one other stop to the Hbf as more convenient, albeit more expensive for the convenience. From where the bus stops at the north side of the Hbf to Marienplatz is a mile walk. Instead, you can go down into the S-bahn station and take an S-Bahn to Marienplatz. A single trip for an adult from the Hbf S-Bahn station to Marienplatz is what is called a Kurzstrecke (short trip - 2 stops) and costs 1,50€ for an adult. There is no Kurzstrecke ticket for a child under 15, but a child ticket for anywhere in the inner zone is 1,40€.

Posted by
19092 posts

As I previously said,

There are a lot of lesser priced, very comfortable and safe hotels not listed on a booking website.

Example, I could not find the previously mentioned Pension Lindner on either Booking or HRS, but it is a perfectly acceptable property. Booking websites do not show all of the available places. It's one thing to check directly with the property after finding them on a booking website, but so many nice places are just not shown on these sites in the first place.

Posted by
980 posts

Don't forget to check the local budget chain Motel One. The Sendlinger Tor would work for you. Picking a random date in the summer give 468€ total for 2 rooms for 2 nights with breakfast.

Motel One is clean, modern and basic.

DJ

Posted by
14500 posts

There is no Uber in Munich nor in Germany, the last I heard. If it's still so, good.

Posted by
487 posts

Just to let you know, some people find the area south of the main train station a little seedy. It is not unsafe, but there are clubs and adult establishments in the area.

Posted by
256 posts

A taxi from the airport is expensive -- and you can get stuck in traffic depending on time you arrive -- however, you could take a taxi once you arrive at the main train station (Hbf) after getting there via either the train (S1 or S8) or the Lufthansa bus. And either the bus or train are easy to find right outside the airport arrivals terminal. The bus is on the street level and there are easy to find signs. The train (S-bahn) is an escalator ride down from just outside the terminal.

While you could walk to your hotel from the main train station -- or from the Marienplatz stop if you take the train -- if you've never been to Munich before, it might be a bit confusing with luggage to get your bearings. A taxi would be easy to find and inexpensive from the train station.

Posted by
148 posts

Thanks everyone!! We will definitely get the MVV Airport-City Day Ticket. Sounds like a great deal since there are 3 of us!!

I am still searching and contemplating about the hotel. Part of me would love to find an out of the way pension where they only speak German (my kids and I all speak enough to get by and it would be good practice). Since it's not common to find those types of places on the booking websites, are there any other ideas for researching them?

On the other hand, it might be fine to just get a place near the Hauptbahnhof train station for the convenience of coming and going, and then explore from there. I think seedy would be ok since everyone seems to think it's at least safe. It is appealing to think about jumping on the train so easily when we head to Augsburg. Metropol sounds very nice (thanks to those who recommended it), so I am leaning towards that, but like I said, I am conflicted because a cute pension would be nice too.

One final question - would the OstBahnHof area be good? And if you were looking for an area of Munich that was off the beaten path and less touristy, where would it be?

Thanks again everyone! You've all given me so much to think about!

Posted by
148 posts

Forgot to add a few specific responses-

Lee, Pension Lindner sounds great but from looking at TripAdvisor, it says they are already booked for our dates. Also, your transportation information is really helpful. Thank you!

Sla019, thanks for the transportation info. It was very helpful. In terms of Augsburg, we have already paid for accommodations, so it is too late to look elsewhere. Wish I had known!

Nigel, I will look into that app. Sounds helpful, and I'm trying to improve my German, so the reviews might be helpful.

DJ, Motel One looks very promising but I think the Sendlinger Tor is full for our dates. Also, they don't seem to have rooms with two beds. Is that correct? I like the idea of air conditioning for sure!

Fred, probably not a popular response, but I really like Uber. I have used it in places where I don't speak the language, like Moscow, and it has been so helpful in those circumstances. I know there are many downsides too, but thought I'd mention what the benefit has been for me.

JenC, good to know it's safe even if it's seedy. My kids are old enough that I would feel ok with that. Thanks for letting me know.

Todd, I'll definitely avoid a taxi from the airport, but you make a good point about taking one once we get to the train station. I'll keep that in mind.

Posted by
980 posts

One final question - would the OstBahnHof area be good? And if you were looking for an area of Munich that was off the beaten path and less touristy, where would it be?

Yes, I usually stay near Ostbahnhof in Munich. The neighborhood around the station, Haidhausen, is great with lots nice squares and great places to eat. Just search this forum for Haidhausen to find out more. There is a Motel One in this area. Another hotel that’s been recommended to me in Haidhausen is MK Hotel near Max Weber Platz (my neighbors in Munich always had their parents stay here).

Motel One looks very promising but I think the Sendlinger Tor is full for our dates. Also, they don't seem to have rooms with two beds. Is that correct? I like the idea of air conditioning for sure!

Some locations do have two beds but it’s best to call and ask. It’s more common to have a queen with two duvets and this usually is not a problem for siblings to share (I’ve shared one with my brother as adults).

There are lots of great hotels (chains or independent) in Haidhausen. Being close to Rosenheimer Platz or Ostbahnhof give you good access to local or long distance transport.

DJ

Posted by
148 posts

Thank you, DJ. I will definitely check out that area!! The Hotel One there still has rooms so I am considering it, although I don't see two beds to a room. It is so much cheaper than many of the hotels, though, so maybe we could splurge and get three rooms. I also think Design Hotel Stadt Rosenheim looks quite nice. It doesn't have air conditioning though. Is air conditioning necessary at the end of may/start of June in Munich? I really hate being hot, but I don't want to limit myself if it's not needed.

Posted by
19092 posts

Pension Lindner sounds great but from looking at TripAdvisor, it says they are already booked for our dates.

Don't, repeat don't, try to book through a booking website. Go to the property directly through their website. I gave you Pension Lindner's URL above.

A couple of years ago, I was looking up the website for one of my favorite pensions in the German Alps, in order to give someone on this board booking information for that place. Because I was planning on staying there soon on an upcoming trip, I checked on the booking website for my dates, and it said that the had no more rooms. So I wrote directly to the pension and found that they had availability for that date.

I see now that Lindner is listed on Booking.com. When I tried to find them by going directly to Booking, they didn't show up, but I was able to find their listing by going through TripAdvisor. Strange.

Just because TripAdvisor's booking website doesn't have rooms in a property doesn't mean that they are booked. Places often don't turn over all of their rooms to a booking website, because they have to give 15%, minimum to the booking website. They hold back some rooms just for people who book direct.

I have also found times when for any date I try, now matter how far out, the booking website says there are no rooms available. I think this is a case where the booking website no longer has a working arrangement with the property but doesn't want to admit it.

So my advice is to e-mail Lindner directly with your dates and see what they say.

Posted by
19092 posts

Interesting, if I put in a date in March, 2019, Booking.com has availability at Lindner. For any date past March 31, 2019, and I tried more than a dozen dates, even out to March 2020, and still no availability. It really looks like Booking and Lindner have severed relations as of April 1, so, again, if you are interested in Lindner this summer, I suggest you contact them directly.

Posted by
416 posts

Another vote for Pension Lindner! We stayed there in September 2017 and loved it! Perfect location, wifi, a great breakfast, and a private bathroom. We corresponded directly by email.

Posted by
2004 posts

We also stayed at Pension Lindner in September 2017:). Loved it!

Pension Lindner IS on Booking.com, which is how I found it and booked it. We then had to change our dates and eded up booking directly with them as we had to navigate a few other things.

On that same trip, we also stayed at Hotel am Viktualienmarkt which was also great. The rooms were more sterile though whereas Pension Lindner had a lot of charm. We booked this through booking.com .

Both of these were excellent hotels, with fantastic hosts, nice breakfast spreads and ideal locations for us. I would not hesitate to stay at either one again. We had two rooms at PL as our adult kids were with us, but then at HV we had a triple room as one person had to leave the trip early. Plenty of space in all the rooms at both locations.

Posted by
148 posts

Thank you all! I decided to call Pension Lindner directly, based on everyone's advice and recommendation, but they are sadly full. They recommended the other pension in the same building, but they are also full. So the search continues...

Posted by
99 posts

We stayed at Hotel Antares. It is not in Marienplatz area but close to Hofgarten. The closest Ubahn is Odeonplatz. I think it is fine, but no AC if that's important for you. They have two twin beds in their four-bed room according to their website.

Posted by
980 posts

Design Hotel Stadt Rosenheim looks quite nice. It doesn't have air conditioning though. Is air conditioning necessary at the end of may/start of June in Munich?

Yes, this is a nice hotel and recently renovated. I've had colleagues stay there before and they also wished it had AC. When we lived in Munich there was usually only 1-2 weeks a year where we wished we had AC so if you stay during one of those weeks it can be uncomfortable. The MK Hotel at Max Weber Platz might not fit the bill for you either as only a few rooms have AC and the reviews are they don't work that well (but honestly I never found any AC in Germany to be like what I expect in TX) and they are minimally staffed so better for low maintenance customers.

Check out the hotels near Rosenheimer Platz. There is a Hilton, Holiday Inn, Novotel, and another Motel One. This location is great for transportation as it is on the main S-Bahn trunk line between Ostbahnhof and the Hauptbahnhof with only two platforms (one eastbound and one westbound) so you can just jump the next train to get to either station.

DJ

Posted by
148 posts

Thanks DJ, we have decided to go with the Motel One near OstBahnHof!! We were able to get three separate rooms for less than two rooms anywhere else, it has air conditioning, is in a convenient location, and seems to have nice restaurants nearby so hopefully all those things will make up for the lack of charm. Thanks everyone, for all the suggestions!

Posted by
980 posts

Good to hear. Motel One Munchen-East Side is my go to hotel lately in Munich so here are a few tips and tricks for you plus suggestions for things to do and places to eat.

• When you arrive purchase Airport-City day group ticket which will be good for all public transportation in Munich on the day you arrive. Take the S8 from the airport direct to Ostbahnhof (the S1 also goes there but takes longer).
  • Take advantage of the convenient transportation (use the MVV app if possible to purchase your tickets by phone). There is a tram/bus stop right in front, for easy access to the Ostbanhhof you can take any tram to bus headed that direction one stop to the station. From here you can catch an S or U-bahn to many locations around the city. Alternatively, you can take the number 21 tram from the hotel on a scenic trip above ground to the city center (get off at Nationaltheater or Marienplatz/Theatinerstraße).
  • The night tram does run on that street so ask for a room on the backside when you arrive.
  • The hotel will hold your bags for you on your arrival and departure day if needed
  • For an afternoon walk around Haidhausen, settlement since 808AD (older than Munich), head right down to Ostbahnhof. In front of Ostbahnhof is the semicircular Orleansplatz, check out the fruit and flower sellers. Directly opposite the station go up Wörthstrasse through Bordeauxplatz and admire the gardens in this long leafy square. At the end of the Platz take a right on Metzstrasse then a left on Preysingstrasse to see some historic houses including a relocated alpine hut that is now the HQ of the Munich Alpine Youth Club. Keep walking down Preysingstrasse and right before Fruchthalle on the right head down the alley to Johannisplatz (the square around the church). Check out the small parks on both sides of the red brick church then head strait out from the church on Chorherrstraße, cross Inner Weiner Strasse and walk to the back of Weinerplatz to get a nice view of the maypole with the front of the church in the background. It's probably time for dinner so in the back corner of Weinerplatz is the entrance to the Hofbräu Keller Biergarten. Eat inside the beer hall or outside in the biergarten depending on the weather (but check out the inside if you don't eat there). After dinner you can head back to Johannisplatz and catch the 21 tram back to your hotel or walk back along Kirchenstrasse passing the Alte Haidhauser Kirche (old Haidhausen Church) along the way (there has been a church on this site for over a thousand years).
  • Suggested places to eat:
    • Hofbräu Keller - nice large Biergarten and traditional restaurant on Weinerplatz, nice stop after a walk through the neighborhood
    • Haidhauser Augustiner - A true neighborhood restaurant so if you eat here you are basically a local! Find it on the very pleasant Bordeauxplatz (plus it serves the best beer in Munich, Augustiner)
    • Cafe Voila - More modern take on traditional bavarian fare, excellent breakfasts, located on Wörthstrasse along with many other restaurants
    • Gaststätte Zum Kloster - Another modern/traditional/local restaurant, part of the fun of this place is finding it on the tiny Preysingstrasse among the little houses

DJ

Posted by
148 posts

Thanks so much, DJ!! This is all incredibly helpful!! I look forward to trying some of the restaurants you recommend and following the walk you lay out. The transportation tips were really helpful too. One quick question - when we get off the S8 at Ostbahnhof, we will have all our luggage. Where do we catch the tram that goes to the hotel? Or would it be easier to grab a taxi?

Posted by
32704 posts

The trams are right outside. Either a 21 or 31, one stop. Or only a 550 metre walk, just over 5 minutes, would give you a chance to check out the neighbourhood as you stroll.

Posted by
980 posts

One quick question - when we get off the S8 at Ostbahnhof, we will have all our luggage. Where do we catch the tram that goes to the hotel? Or would it be easier to grab a taxi?

First, I just noticed I wrote the number 19 tram above but that route is now the number 21 tram line (the night tram is still the N19 but you probably won't ever take that). Sorry about that.

To get from Ostbahnhof to the hotel you can either take a tram or a bus. The bus platforms are directly in front of the station. The tram platform is on Orleansplatz across the main road in front of the station. You can get to either one by using the tunnels but it can be confusing so if it's easier for navigation just go to the surface and use the cross walks.

This map (https://www.mvg.de/aushangfahrplan/P8_H_OB_0.pdf) will show you the layout near the station (the underground tunnels are light blue) and surrounding area including the hotel area. It also lists the trams and buses (and their direction) that go to the stop in front of the hotel, Haidenauplatz:
Tram 21 St.-Veit-Straße
Bus 54 Münchner Freiheit
Bus 68 Cityring
Bus 100 Hauptbahnhof Nord
Night Tram N19 St.-Veit-Straße
Night Bus N74 Messestadt Ost

Or just walk as Nigel says. With this many options a taxi shouldn't be needed.

DJ

Posted by
148 posts

Thanks, DJ and Nigel,

I'm printing all this out (including the map) and taking it with us! You all are so helpful!!