Please sign in to post.

Hotel Recommendations in Berlin

We will be in Berlin for five nights mid August.. We have heard that West Berlin and Prenzlauer Berg are good areas to stay. Any hotel recommendations and preferences. We will be walking and taking public transportation.

Posted by
3985 posts

My usual recommendation (mittendrin in the former West Berlin) does not have air conditioning... would not recommend it in mid August.

Posted by
50 posts

The Adina (an der Spandauer Brücke) is an apartment-hotel in Häckescher Markt. It is right across the street from the station and has microwaves, fridges, elevators, and air conditioning. It is not a small quaint hotel, though. About 20 minutes to Berlin Hauptbahnhof, if you walk, but quicker if you use the public transport.

We stayed there a long time ago in July during a heatwave (35C+) when meeting family and found it a good location both for walking and public transportation. There is a Rewe and a DM around the corner, lots of restaurants close by, and it is also close to AlexanderPlatz and the Aquarium.

Posted by
9151 posts

Motel One has several locations and has great AC. They are my choice in Berlin, Munich or Frankfurt.

Posted by
14797 posts

Hi,

First of all, is having A/C a necessity?

In Berlin-Charlottenburg are numerous small hotels and Pensionen, especially around Wielandstraße, along Kantstraße, Mommesentraße, and in the Savignyplatz area. Not all offer A/C, if you need that. I don't. I stay in a small Pension in this area which has no A/C nor en suite facilities.

The S-Bahn station is this area is Savignyplatz, from which it's direct to Berlin Hbf., Alexanderplatz, Ostbahnhof, Köpenick or westward to Potsdam Hbf. Numerous bus lines run on Kantstraße. Both the S-bahn and bus lines stop at Bahnhof Zoo, should you need that

Posted by
3985 posts

Hey, Fred. I’m glad you are posting again! I think a/c is a necessity for most if a big heat wave hits. I’m with you — I can certainly survive without it, like in the priest seminary where I stayed in Salzburg in July 2014 when a summer heat wave jacked temps up into the 90’s, But it’s nice for most (including myself) not to have to endure that. Having said that, I stayed at mittendrin late August last year. Temps were comfortable in the 70s, and I had a great stay, as usual. I would have been fine if temps were 10 or even 20 degrees higher, but I was glad they were not.

Posted by
9151 posts

You may not need it, but if temps get up to 35-40°, you will be ever so happy that you have it.
It CAN get super hot in Germany in Aug.

Posted by
7766 posts

Yes, you need A/C in Berlin in August. I grew up in NYC in the 50's-60's without air conditioning.

We walked out of an otherwise nice (no A/C) chain hotel in Mitte (no refund) when we saw that our room overlooked a curve on a streetcar route. The A/C in our luxury hotel could barely keep up with the heat-I think it wasn't engineered to Americanski meat-locker standards.

Posted by
2021 posts

Unfortunately, with Europe and the world getting warmer, A/C is definitely needed in August in Berlin.

Posted by
14797 posts

@ Dave....Yes, I have been through heat waves in Berlin where the temp is 30+ C, all part of going in the summer and experiencing the famous "Berliner Luft" referred to in the old traditional Berlin songs.

In one of the last trips pre-Corona, I had a talk with the proprietor on the guests, 95% I've seen in all my stays are German, the others European, (French, Finnish), hardly ever any North Americans. I told her why, eg, no A/C among other salient reasons, She just laughed at that since in Berlin no need for it generally and not worth it.

True, the other small Pensionen where I stayed, all located in this general area between K'dumm and Kantstraße before becoming a regular at this one did not have A/C either. During those heat waves where the heat can be oppressive, they just open all the windows in the breakfast room, a fan is not even brought out. Like the locals you put with this "Berliner Luft" heat wave...."so ist es eben."

Posted by
10 posts

A bit late, but: the Circus Hotel in Rosenthaler Platz is one of my favorite hotels in Europe. And the location is great. (I live in Berlin)