Please sign in to post.

Hotel in Rothenburg ob der Tauber

I am visiting Rothenburg in early June with my wife. We need a room for two with a private bathroom. I have the Rick Steves' 2018 Germany book. I need recommendations for a 2 night stay near the city center. Thanks

Posted by
32512 posts

Are you ruling out all the ones in the book?

Posted by
1 posts

We stayed at the Romantik Hotel Markustrum last June and it was excellent. Location is within the city walls (Roedergasse 1) and very convenient to the main square. We booked a Superior Double room (with breakfast). We drove in by car and the hotel parked it for us during our stay. Suggest you notify them in advance if you are also driving. Very friendly and helpful staff. We had a nice dinner there one night too. Make sure you do the Nightwatchman tour - a real hoot.

Posted by
172 posts

We have stayed many times at Cafe Uhl B & B. It is just inside the wall and an easy walk to the square. More affordable than most and a good breakfast.

Posted by
188 posts

I have the book but want suggestions for the best one or two from the book based on personal experience of other travellers

Posted by
613 posts

Rothenburg is over priced and over crowded, so on 2 of 3 visits, I stayed in nearby Nordlingen, a smaller, cheaper, less crowded equally quaint village and took a day trip to Rothenburg. If you must stay in Rothenburg, the Burg Hotel is built into the city wall in a very quiet location and some rooms have views over the river valley below the walls.

Posted by
589 posts

We stayed at Hotel Zum Breiterle not far from the center square (5 years ago). It had a lot of character. Rothenburg empties out in the evening after daytrippers and tour groups leave. We did not have a problem booking a room for the night.

Posted by
354 posts

We stayed at the Hotel Klosterstueble, based on the RS book and it exceeded my expectations. I would absolutely stay there again.

Posted by
2709 posts

Where is "Rothenburg is overpriced" coming from? We stayed last fall in Kreuzerhof Hotel Garni (one of many RS recommendations), this was just fine at about 85€/night. Many recommendations were similarly priced. As for overcrowding, blame the day-trippers. The town is enchanting after dark.

Posted by
2023 posts

We also liked Klosterstuble--nice quiet room with wood floors and attractive bathroom with Grohe faucets. Breakfast (included) was very good and they found parking for us on the side street.

Posted by
1968 posts

We had an excellent stay at Hotel Spitzweg. We had the family suite and it was well appointed and very well kept. The breakfast was wonderful. The host is excellent and you can see that he truly cares that you have a great stay. We enjoyed chatting with him on several occasions.

As for Rothenburg being overpriced, we did not find that at all. Our visit was September 2017 for 3 nights and we never felt that costs were high.

You have not asked, but for the best dinner, Zur Holl is a must! Definitely make reservations.

Posted by
124 posts

Scot,
We stayed at the Hotel Zum Breiterle (Gusthof zum Breiterle) in the summer of 2016 and loved it. it's an old hotel with creaky stairs and old timbers. We stayed on the top floor in the attic with the sloped ceilings it was very charming. It is just inside the the city walls so conveniently located, near the Rodertor. The rooms were clean and well maintained. The breakfast buffet was very nice. It is one of the first hotels from the train station inside the city walls, so not to far to carry your bags if arriving by train.
I hope you find accommodations that suite you Rothenburg ob der Tauber is ever so lovely!

Posted by
52 posts

Scott,

My wife and I stayed a single night at the Gasthof Zum Breiterle in May of 2017 during our trek through Germany. Our room was simple, clean and mostly comfortable.

1. The hotel is located inside the town walls and is a five minute walk to the Marktplatz.

2. It is located on a main street 50 feet from a gate in wall that traffic coming inside uses day and night. If your room is on the street side, you will hear noise of both cars and pedestrians.

3. Like most pensions and guesthouses, there is no lift available (something that doesn't bother me) however, every single step in the main staircase creaks louder than a cat squealing as if its tail crushed by a rocking chair. It's not a deal breaker, but every creak made me feel bad when I returned that night, hoping I wasn't waking people up.

4. The shower was functional, but as a corner unit, both doors folded inwards, which made it a tad difficult to get in and out of. Not impossible, mind you, just odd.

5. Reception closes fairly early, so be sure to communicate with the staff to ensure an easy check-in process.

6. The breakfast was filling and the staff were super friendly.

I wouldn't stay in a nearby town because you'd be missing the best part of Rothenburg... Experiencing the the town without all the day tourists. We also found Rothenburg to be two different places by day and by night.

By day, tour buses by the dozen park outside the walls and flood the town with eager tourists. However, around 4pm, they depart leaving you with a charming little town to enjoy without the noise and bustle of the busy day.

RF

Posted by
99 posts

I have not stayed, but booked hotel garni kreuzerhof for our Dec trip. Reviews are good in Tripadvisor. Like other post mentioned. this hotel is affordable.
I think Rothenburg has more options of cheaper hotels than Wurzburg.