Please sign in to post.

Hotel in Munich

Coincidentally we will be in Munich during Octoberfest. Finding a hotel has been near impossible for the 4 nights we will be there. We have found accommodation at Hotel Grunwald. We understand it is 15 minutes from the city center and we will be ok with that. My question is...has anyone stayed there and what was your experience? Very good reviews on all the travel sites. Thank you.

Posted by
34 posts

Close to one of my favorite places on earth!
http://www.augustinerkeller.de/beer-garden/?L=1

We stayed in a similar location and rented bikes for a couple of days from the train station - reasonably priced, gets you to and from very quickly, and if you feel overwhelmed by the busier traffic in the city center you can lock up wherever and walk from there!

Posted by
55 posts

Awesome! We were talking about just renting bikes and biking everywhere we want to go in Munich. I am going to assume that the rental bikes come with locks similar to when we rented bikes in Holland. We are getting very excited about our trip this year! Thank you!

Posted by
980 posts

Is this the hotel?

http://www.hotel-gruenwald.de

If so that is about 20-30 min from the city center by SBahn. Not a bad location for Oktoberfest but don't count on riding a bike from the hotel into the city.

If you are not locked into this hotel yet I'd suggest that you still check around as I've been seeing more rooms than normal pop up very late through the summer for the fest this year. For example, my normal MotelOne had several rooms open up for opening weekend just two weeks ago, most years this never happens. Airfare seems to be down too so maybe travel is down overall big that just my guess. Regardless seems like a good year for a last minute trip to Oktoberfest.

If you have more questions, just ask here as there are several Oktoberfest veterans on this forum.

Have fun.

DJ

Posted by
55 posts

Yes, that is the hotel. We have reservations but they are cancellable with 10 days notice. I looked at Hotel One and for the dates we are in Munich they are all booked. We can certainly just take the UBahn into the city center. We are experienced traveller, so I'm not worried about finding out way around town. Excited to see a city we have never been.

Posted by
321 posts

Hi Michele- looks like you are paying about $200 per nite non-refundable, correct? It also looks like the hotel is about 6-8 blocks from the Sbahn. Walking that far after a time at the 'Fest may be challenging. If you haven't locked yourself into these conditions you should be able to get something closer to the 'Fest for about the same cost although the room may be smaller. Anyway, a rating above 8.4 is usually pretty good with Booking.com. Read the reviews.

Have a great trip!!!

Posted by
55 posts

I negotiated directly with the hotel and we are paying around $160 per night. Everything close to the city center and somewhat charming and not industrial was over $300 per night. We are not locked in and can cancel within 10 days of traveling in late September. I emailed over a dozen hotels and most are booked or way over priced. Still waiting to hear from 2 more hotels. We are not there specifically for Octoberfest, although we will probably try to go just because we are there.

Posted by
980 posts

One other option to consider is to book a hotel in a town within 1 hour from Munich by direct train. That has been the approach for many people who find themselves in the Munich area during Oktoberfest but don't want to pay Oktoberfest prices.

Landshut, Rosenheim, Landsberg am Lech, etc are often recommended. My personal recommendation is to stay in Tegernsee (about an hour south by BOB train). You can stay near the lake in the foothills of the Alps for less than half what you would pay in Munich but it's still an easy day trip into the city. Of course if you had other day trips from Munich planned a different location might be better but it's still worth a look depending on your plans.

DJ

Posted by
14 posts

Hi Michele,

We are going for Ocktoberfest as well and found a great place on Air B&B right near all the action. If you haven't done so already - check that out! It was cheap too! :)