Hey all! I am looking to plan an adult family road-trip by SUV through Germany beginning and ending in Frankfurt this June. (Those parameters are pre-set for us.) Our interests include cute towns, history lessons, pretty scenery, cool castles, and good wine.
I pulled some ideas from RS and this forum, but am having a hard time narrowing options and picking durations. After so long lurking on this site to plan trips, I decided to finally write in to gather some opinions. For context, I lean towards leisure but have to balance that with my travel companions desire to see a lot of the area. For example - spend more time on the upper Romantic Road or around greater Stuttgart to catch the nearby castles, palace, and car museums?? Any thoughts on the below itinerary (numbered by day) are MUCH appreciated.
- Base of Heidelberg -- Plan: Arrive, drive to H'berg
- Heidelberg -- Explore locally
- Heidelberg -- Explore the outer area, like seeing Schwetzingen or going to the Technik Museum
- Obernai -- Leave H'berg, drive through Strasbourg then on to O'nai
- Obernai -- Explore locally
- Obernai -- Explore the lower route de vin, like down to Colmar
- Tübingen -- Leave O'nai, drive to T'gen, either via A8 or B28
- Tübingen -- Explore castles or the palace nearby
- Nördlingen -- Leave T'gen and drive to N'gen, stopping for sites along the way
- Würzburg -- Meander along the 'Romantic Road' until arriving in W'burg
- Würzburg -- Explore locally, maybe adding a Bamberg stop if enough time
- Airport -- Drive from W'burg to FRA in the morning to catch our flight back