Please sign in to post.

Help with Paris / Netherlands / Germany itinerary in October 2020

I've been trying to figure out the best route from Paris through the Netherlands and Germany. I arrive the 16th in Paris (Weds) need to be back in Paris the 29th (Tues) and have booked the 23rd and 24th (Weds and Thurs) in Munich for Oktoberfest. I have 7 nights to get to Munich and 5 to get back to Paris.

These are some cities I have written down based on articles I have read on beautiful cities that are reachable by train. Any input with this itinerary would be greatly appreciated. Any cities that should be added or deleted ? Off the beaten path is my preferred choice.
I also tried to do the route backwards, going to Trier first in Germany from Paris but that seems longer to me. There are places to stop just over the border in France , is this feasible? Any suggestions? Most of my trip will be by train, I have never driven in Europe.

Paris to Bruge Belgium
Bruge to Amsterdam
Rothenburg ob der Tauber--
Wurzburg (to Fessen is the romantic road and covers cities on this list, Fessen is where that Disney castle is and is close to Munich. So maybe last stop before or first stop after Munich? This is super touristy but prob worth it. Should we rent a car or a driver for this?
Cochem
Dinkelsburg
Rudesheim (boat trip down river is here )
Bacherach
Heidelburg--beautiful old town
Cologne (can just be a stop for an hour or so from the train)
Nuremburg
Thank you!!

Posted by
7297 posts

Why aren't you flying home from Munich or Frankfurt or Amsterdam? You don't have time to back-track.

Posted by
6637 posts

Here's a fairly reasonable geographical ORDER for your trip:

Paris > Bruges > A'dam > (stop in Cologne) Rhine Valley > Wuerzburg > Nuremberg > Rothenburg > Munich (day trip to Fuessen) > Heidelberg > Paris

That said, it's ridiculous to think that you can do all that stuff before getting to Munich on the 23rd. You would need longer than a week just to enjoy Bruges, A'dam and the Rhine Valley properly.

You would only have 2 nights in Bruges, only 2 nights in A'dam, and then TRY to make it to Nuremberg by the 23rd right after the Rhine Valley (2 nights) and stay in Nuremberg for the 23rd - 24th. Cancel Munich rooms. You can do most the same things in Nuremberg that you can in Munich (beer halls and brew pubs, Nazi Documentation centers, more...) and you can catch a train from Nuremberg to Munich for O'fest on the 25th (about 1 hr on the fast trains.) Stow bags in Munich while you do O'fest. Then you could get to Wuerzburg for the night of the 25th (2 hrs from Munich) and see the town on the 26th, spending the night of the 26th in nearby Rothenburg. See R'burg in the morning on the 27th, go to Heidelberg for 2 nights (27th, 28th) and possibly get back to Paris by the 29th.

O'fest, Rothenburg, and Neuschwanstein are IMHO somewhat bad jokes that the Germans play on international tourists in order to keep them them all together in certain places. If it were my trip I'd drop all three of them! But dropping N'stein would be especially wise... N'stein's overcrowded 30-minute tour of King Ludwig's fancy home, a palace where he lived for 6 months before his death (no, it's not a castle) is not worth the 5-hours of public transport it takes to get there and back. And Disneyland probably shouldn't be the rationale for selecting things to see and do when you're visiting new cultures. It's like going to Hamburg to find out where the American hamburger came from (ditto frankfurters.) Buy a poster of N'stein for your home, and let people infer that you went there, if you think it will impress them, but don't waste a whole day for that half hour tour. If you want to see some really fine palaces, see the Residenz in Wuerzburg. If you want to see a real castle, stop in at Marksburg on the Rhine (English tours at 1 and 4 pm.)

Posted by
10 posts

Thank you so much for taking the time to give me such a detailed plan. Lots to think about , it's a good thing I have a long time to get an itinerary together.