Please sign in to post.

Help with Itinerary

Hi,

My wife and I are planning a trip to Germany during the first week of September from SFO. Our goal is to explore some charming towns, immerse ourselves in nature, and enjoy scenic hikes. Here’s our tentative itinerary, and we’d love your input and suggestions:

Day 1: Arrival in Frankfurt and Nuremberg
Arrive at Frankfurt airport at 9:30 AM. Take a direct train from the airport to Nuremberg at 11:00 AM (about 2 hours). Spend the rest of the day exploring Nuremberg Castle and the old city walls.

Day 2: Exploring Nuremberg

What can we do ? Any Suggestions. Bamburg or other towns ?

Day 3: Nuremberg to Rothenburg

Drive to Rothenburg (1.5 hours). Spend the day exploring the town, including the Town Hall Tower, Town Walls, and Medieval Crime Museum.

Day 4: Rothenburg to Füssen

Drive to Füssen (2.5 hours). Visit Neuschwanstein Castle and Hohenschwangau Castle in the afternoon. Any suggestion for alternative ?

Day 5: Exploring Füssen

Spend your day hiking in the nearby Tegelberg mountain or the Lechfall waterfall.

Day 6: Füssen to Garmisch-Partenkirchen

Drive to Garmisch-Partenkirchen (1 hour).Take a cable car up to Zugspitze, Germany's highest peak, in the afternoon.

Day 7: Garmisch-Partenkirchen to Schönau am Königssee

Drive to Schönau am Königssee (2.5 hours). Spend the afternoon exploring the lake area and take a boat tour on Lake Königssee.

Day 8: Schönau am Königssee to Munich

Drive to Munich (2 hours). Spend the rest of the day exploring Munich, visiting Nymphenburg Palace, the English Garden, and Hofbräuhaus.

Day 9: Departure from Munich

We tried to fit in day trip to Salzburg but could'nt. Is it possible ?
Any suggestion to base somewhere the last few days instead of hopping from hotels ?
Any suggestion for trains to optimize travel route and passes would be helpful ?
Should we consider any other towns or attractions along the way?

We appreciate your insights. Thank you in advance for your help!

Thanks
Senthil

Posted by
7679 posts

Not a bad plan, but with 9 days you will need to research your visits for time. You have some very generous plans that you probably won't be able to do, like Day 4, driving from Rothenburg to Fussen on THE ROMANTIC ROAD you say 2.5 hours, do you plan to stop in any of the wonderful medieval walled towns like Dinkelsbuhl, Donauwurth and others. Also, Augsburg is worth a few hours. That city is over 2000 years old and the downtown is amazing.

doing the Zugspitze is great. Your day 8 is generous, you might get it done with a guided tour.

Posted by
332 posts

For days 1 and 2 at some point jet lag is going to kick in. I love Bamberg, but I think there is enough to do in Nuremberg to keep you busy.

for day 3, I remember parking being kind of a pain when we were there. Also to my American brain I thought the parking was free - it looked like a parking lot that would be free here in the States, but there was a cute little kiosk that we totally missed when we parked and we didn't get the ticket to put in the windshield thus a not so cute parking ticket.

On your way into Fuessen - I would highly recommend stopping at the Wieskirch in Steingaden - or on your drive to Garmisch-Partenkirchen stopping at the monastery in Ettal.

You do move around a lot, but I am having a hard time finding places to cut/stay extra nights in.

Posted by
1296 posts

You might consider a plan "B" for inclement weather for the Zugspitz and the Königssee. Something like head to Mittenwald and a short half day in Salzburg.

Posted by
2265 posts

It is a little bit unfair to post the same request parallel on multiple forums, e. g. also on TA because the helpers of this platform do not see what helpers of other platforms already recommended. Please do same postings sequentially on platforms with 2-3 days in between and not in parallel to respect time and effort of other people.

Posted by
2 posts

Thank you all for the suggestions and tips. We will make sure to take in to account when planning in detail.

Sorry Mark. Will make sure there are few days in between posting in different forums.

Senthil