Please sign in to post.

Help with Itinerary

Help with Itinerary
My son taking summer semester (“study a broad”) in Hannover this summer. We are thinking to fly there and travel with him for 7-10 days, after he finish his program.
I know for sure we would like to visit Berlin for minimum 3(4) days. Can you help with itinerary, please? Thank you very much.
P.S. We already had amazing summer trip following Rick Steve’s “romantic road” itinerary - from Cologne, Rhine Valley, Mosel Valley, Strasburg(France) , Neuschwanstein, Rothenburg and finish in Munich.
Thank you very much for all advices

Posted by
2231 posts

If you liked the half timbered houses and old towns from last stay Harz mountain towns Quedlinburg and Goslar are worth a visit. Old Harz train is an experience as well as top of Mount Brocken.

Berlin you mentioned yourself. 4 full days are meaningful. Student might enjoy nightlife a little bit. If you like palaces Potsdam is a must-have.

By the way: close to Hannover you will find Marienburg Castle.

Hamburg is only 2-3 hrs away from Berlin and a good turn nack to Hannover but a different world than Berlin - more maritime and more Scandinavian. Different food style and mentality of people. Close Lübeck is a wonderful old and young small town. Great place for students also.

On the way between Hamburg and Berlin the Castle of Schwerin or Rheinsberg Palace worth a stop.

Posted by
3847 posts

I could do 10 days in Berlin alone (and have done that!), but I suspect you like to move faster than that. I agree with MarkK's Harz Mountains suggestion. I was thinking maybe Harz Mountains -- Leipzig -- Berlin.

Posted by
14507 posts

Hi,

If you prefer going to smaller places instead and closer too relative to Hannover, I suggest Celle to see the Bormann Museum or Minden...lovely towns. Which institution is he studying at in Hannover?

Aside from Berlin, you have tons of choices in central and North Germany....Hannover, Celle, Minden, Lüneburg, Hameln, Goslar, Göttingen, Lübeck,