Please sign in to post.

Help with 6-7 days Bavaria itinerary

Hi,

I am looking for some help on finalizing my itinerary. I'm traveling to Bavaria with my wife. We will be there from 25th August to 31st. Below are a couple of options that we are considering. It would be great to have some feedback.

We will be using trains for all our travel as neither of us hold an IDP.

25th noon - Arrive in Munich from Mumbai, take a train to Salzburg, stay in Salzburg
26th - Salzburg city tour
27th - Day trip to Berchtesgaden, night at Salzburg
28th - Day trip to Chiemsee, then go to Munich
29th - Travel to Garmisch-Pertenkirchen/Zugspitze, spend the night
30th - Mittenwald, back to Munich
31st - Fly out

We can maybe skip Chiemsee and take a train from Salzburg to Innsbruck and then go to GP/Zugspitze. Alternatively, we could do a day trip to GP and spend the entire 30th in Munich. Open to consider any other options as well.

Thanks,
Sambhav

Posted by
631 posts

all seems sensible but your own options make it better.

25/26/27 fine. Use BayernTicket from airport to Salzburg (€31 for two people, ONE ticket, write names in the blank boxes as they appear on your passport). Take S8 local train to Munich Ostbahnhof and change to blue-grey-yellow Meridian train to Salzburg - do not use Eurocity as they cost much more without being much faster).

28 has a problem - where to leave luggage when you are at the lake? The idea of going to GAP via Innsbruck is fine (book Railjet tickets in advance for best price) is OK. You could spend a few hours in Innsbruck as well, you can leave luggage at the station.

Original plan for 30 has the same luggage problem. If you did the amended plan for 28 that would give whole of 29 for early visit to Zugspitze and late afternoon/early evening for a wander around Mittenwald (maybe have dinner there). The 30 into Munich for time there.