Please sign in to post.

Help with Bavaria Itinerary

Hello, all. Hoping to get some assistance with 8 night in Bavaria in September. We are planning to spend 3-4 nights in southern Bavaria and 3-4 in Salzburg.

We were going to end our time in Munich but have since discovered the last 3 days of our trip are the first 3 of Oktoberfest. That could be fun, but we are really not into crowds, and the hotels are outrageous, so now considering skipping Munich altogether.

Thinking about renting a car at airport, spending 3 nights in either Fussen, Garmisch of Mittenwald (suggestions welcome). Then dropping off the car at a train station in Germany (Garmisch?) and taking the train to Salzburg. We plan to do day trips from Salzburg such has Hallstat and Berchtesgaden. Train to Munich airport (or maybe the city for one day of Oktoberfest) the day before our very early flight home.

Would love some suggestions or opinions. Thanks so much for any responses!

Posted by
4894 posts

Garmisch-Partenkirchen is a lovely place to spend a few days. Oberammergau (site of The Passion Play) is only a short drive a way. Google them and see what you think.

Posted by
678 posts

I also like Garmisch Partenkirchen as a base and would prefer it as a base rather than Mittenwald. In fact, I am returning to G-P for a week in April and will do daytrips from there. For a wealth of information about the area, accomodations, events, restaurants, etc, check out their official website at gapa.de. It has tons of accomodations of all types listed: hotels, guesthouses, apartments, rooms, bnbs, etc. I combed through all of the accomodations on that website and found a good, two bedroom apartment at a gastehaus for less than 100 euros a day. If you are thinking of renting a car and returning it to G-P, then why don't you rent it there too, rather than rent from Munich and return to G-P and probably incur an additional fee? You can take the train or bus from Munich to Garmisch Partenkirchen. There is a FLIX bus direct from the international airport to G-P for 15 euros. If you go by train, buy a Bayern ticket if you are two or more. Once in Garmisch if you stay at an accomodation you are provided free local bus passes. We used the public busses in town everyday because of this benefit. From Garmisch there are lots of places to visit within an easy daytrip range. The Partnach Gorge is right there in G-P. Oberammergau and nearby Linderhof Palace, MIttenwald, Zugspitz, Eibsee, Neuschwanstein Castle, even a daytrip by train to Innsbruck are all easy doable places to visit. Lots of other choices too. Get yourself a good guidebook that focuses on Bavaria.

Salzburg is beautiful. We used public transportation and walked a lot while there. Since we didn't have a car we did a daytrip private tour up into the mountains and then on to Berchtesgaden. Since it was late November and snowing Eagle's Nest was closed but we visited some WWII sites in the area. I have not been to Hallstatt but it looks so pretty and my neice told me she liked St. Wolfgang even better than Hallstatt and it is closer to Salzburg.

Posted by
19109 posts

Unless you are planning a trip up the Zugspitze, I would not bother with Garmisch-Partenkirchen. I made a special trip there 30 years ago to go up the Zugspitze. Then 15 years ago, I stopped for an hour while changing trains. The only reason I will go through there again is to change trains. I don't think it is a particularly attractive town and it's too big and too commercial for my tastes. I'd stay in Oberammergau. It's well situated in the middle of some of the places you want to see (Füssen and Mittenwald), and a short bus ride to Linderhof.

I've stayed several times here. Frau Richter speak very good English and can help you get to the other places. Gästehaus Richter is described in Lonely Planet as the "best deal" in Oberammergau.

I assume you made the decision to rent a car without knowing anything about public transportation. You can catch the S-Bahn into Munich Hbf and then take a regional train to Oberammergau in less than 3 hours. The drive from the airport to Oberammergau takes about 2 hours after you get the car. The train fare to Oberammergau is 31€ for two with a Bayern-Ticket.

From Oberammergau, it is an hour and 20 minutes by bus to Hohenschwangau. At that time of year, I would be sure to have castle tour reservations for Neuschwanstein. It is also a little less than an hour to Garmisch, if you have to see it, but it's only 20 minutes from the bus station/Bahnhof in Garmisch-Partenkirchen to Mittenwald. From Oberammergau, it is a 20 minute bus ride to Linderhof.

Posted by
509 posts

Another vote for Oberammergau. We used it as a base for a 2-3 day visit to the region. It has its own charms, is walkable from end-to-end, and offers easy drives to G-P, Mittenwald, etc. (Hotel Wittlesbach worked for us: central, free parking, great breakfast included.)

Posted by
28 posts

I have only traveled by rail in Bavaria and Salzburg. Fussen is small and walkable and busses leave from Bahnhof for a short ride to Hohenschwangau and Neuschwanstein castles.
You can reserve castle tickets, pick them up early morn, see castles, have lunch and return to Fussen to walk about. Garmisch is beautiful and as someone mentioned, there’s Linderhof not far, Oberammergau, Zugspitze, Olympic stadium, and walking in the pedestrian area of Garmisch is delightful.
We stayed in Salzburg and did Berchtesgaden and Hallstatt as day trips with no problems (again via bus or train). Hallstatt in my opinion is worth it. We loved it. Berchtesgaden is also worth it. We took the Konigsee boat ride (skip it if weather is rainy). The Eagles Nest tour we took was interesting. My grandson (17) enjoyed it too. Rick mentions it in his books. eagles-nest-tours.com Salzburg is very pretty. My main suggestion there is, if you can, walk about the pedestrian only streets early one morning before the crowds are out. The narrow walkways and winding paths are truly beautiful. If I return I will do that. Good luck and have a blast!

Posted by
14 posts

Thanks to everyone for such quick replies!

Oberammergau does look nice and we will consider that as well as G-P. I do have question regarding travel to Salzburg via train from these towns. Looks like there is service that goes through Munich so it takes between 3 - 4 hrs. Does it make sense to drop off the car in Rosenheim where the train trip is about an hour? Based on my research, it doesn't cost more to drop off a car rented in G-P or Oberammergau in Rosenheim.

Posted by
1566 posts

Yes, Oberammergau is a very good central base. GP is too big for me and not as attractive, but the two gorges in and around it are well worth it.

If driving, Rosenheim is a good idea for a drop-off, though I don't know if there is a rental company close to the train station. Should be around 50 euros for a one way drop off. Do a search for drop-offs in Salburg: it will be more expensive but may be more practical for you and allow you to see something of interest on the way.

Posted by
2351 posts

Does it make sense to drop off the car in Rosenheim where the train trip is about an hour?

You may consider turning in the car in Freilassing, the Bavarian border town opposite Salzburg. Depending on the location of your rental agency you cold take either bus or train into Salzburg.