Please sign in to post.

Happy 275th Birthday to Goethe

Aug 28 is the birthday of the father of German literature, Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (Frankfurt, 1749), the author of the epic drama Faust.

He moved to Italy in 1786, and when he returned to Germany two years later, he fell in love with a woman from Weimer, Christiane Vulpius, a 23-year-old who was 16 years his junior. That year, he wrote her an epithalamium, a wedding poem, but he didn't actually marry her; instead, the couple lived together for 18 years unwed. That is, until one night, Christiane saved Goethe's life by driving off a band of Napoleon's soldiers who had broken in their home. Goethe went down to a church the very next day and married her, his live-in girlfriend of 18 years.

In 1806, the same year of the home invasion and marriage, Goethe published a preliminary version of Part I of his great work, Faust, the story of a brilliant scholar named Heinrich Faust, who makes a deal with the devil. The great epic has it all: seduction, murder, sleeping potions, an illegitimate love child, a stray poodle that transforms into the devil, contracts signed with blood, imprisonment in dungeons, heavenly voices, and even redemption.

Faust is often called a "closet drama" because it's intended to be read, not performed. Goethe spent 50 years working on this two-volume masterpiece, finishing it in 1832, the year of his death.

Christiane survived for only a decade after her and Goethe's wedding. In later life, after recovering from a heart disease that nearly killed him, the 73-year-old Goethe fell passionately in love with an 18-year-old woman, Ulrike von Levetzow, and was devastated when she turned down his proposals of marriage.

Goethe, who said, "One ought, every day at least, to hear a little song, read a good poem, see a fine picture, and if it were possible, to speak a few reasonable words."

http://www.online-literature.com/goethe/

Posted by
14758 posts

In SF the famous Goethe-Schiller statue located in Weimar which is the location of Goethe's house and Museum can also be seen.

Goethe's house/Museum is in Frankfurt, walkable from the Hbf. I went there in 1973, my first visit to Frankfurt, albeit short.

Posted by
14758 posts

Goethe met with Napoleon three times, both spoke in French, of course.

In 1813 he and Napoleon met a second time, when historically, one could argue that the Emperor was losing or, at least, precariously close to it, prior to Leipzig.

The mood and times had changed dramatically in Germany in 1813. Patriotic fervor starting in East Prussia was sweeping Germany . It was time of the Befreiungskriege (the wars of liberation) to kick out the hated French yoke. I would not have blamed Goethe in 1813 if he had decided not to meet with Napoleon .

Posted by
14758 posts

Goethe's literary work, " Die Leiden des jungen Werthers" was one of Napoleon's favourite works. It was among his traveling library while on campaign. He read it in French translation and discussed the piece with Goethe when they met the first time in 1808 in Weimar.

Posted by
9142 posts

Did you know that "The Sorrows of Young Werther" was a best seller, mainly because the church wanted it banned? Copy cat suicides seemed to be the trend after it was published. Today, this is called the "Werther Effect" and is why many countries do not publish information about how people died of suicide or if that is how they died. When the film "13 Reasons Why" came out, the Werther Effect was discussed. Oh, and the Werther Look was trendy and guys had Werther Parties. Imagine life without Instagram and this is what you get.

Interesting fact about his wife. He didn't want to marry her, because his friends made fun of her lack of education. Seems she couldn't even read. Goethe said she made him laugh and so he stuck with her.

The Goethe House in Frankfurt is interesting to visit, especially since it is a total reconstruction. The original burned down in WW2. It is now next door to one of Frankfurts' newest museums, the Romantic Museum. This was a way more interesting museum than I expected it to be and I spent several hours there. All text is in English as well as German. Plus, it is open on Mondays when all the other museums are closed.

Posted by
2844 posts

see a fine picture

At this occasion I want to mention the 250th anniversary of Caspar David Friedrich. He was a contemporary of Goethe and a German painter and graphic artist. Today, he is considered one of the most important artists of German Romanticism.

A lot of special exhibitions and events are ongoing and open for visitors.

Posted by
14758 posts

In Wien on the Ringstraße is a statue of Goethe.