Please sign in to post.

Guide Books

Planning a trip including Munich, Oberammergau, Salzburg and Vienna. Do I need the full Germany guide book or am I fine with the Pocket Munich and the Vienna Salzburg books?

Posted by
11179 posts

Kind of depends where else you are going an how long you plan to be at each locale. The longer your stay the more helpful the more extensive book(s) become

Posted by
32202 posts

Julie,

I'd suggest buying the full RS Germany guidebook as it includes far more detail than the pocket versions. It will also be useful for planning future trips.

Posted by
4140 posts

No question , the complete books are a much better choice , BUT , even though I prefer actual books , the weight and bulk of carrying them has become far less appealing over the years . Once I learned to navigate the electronic ( kindle ) editions with ease ( short learning curve ) that would be the best way to go .

Posted by
304 posts

Thanks everyone. I have the Pocket Munich for now. Will get the full Germany when the new edition comes out.

Posted by
1481 posts

We travel light by trains. I came to the conclusion that travel guides were too heavy to take, even if I cut them into pieces. I have some old Michelin Guides that I peruse initially but then focus on the city websites and other online tourism websites. I usually carry both my cell phone and a mini tablet. I can always pull up the info that I have researched.

Once we arrive, one of our first stops is the city's tourist office for a map and a tourist sights pamphlet.

It was initially a big step to give up carrying my Michelin Guides everywhere.