Please sign in to post.

Going to Christmas Markets 2014 with daughters,Help!

Dad traveling with daughters ages 21 & 15, staying with relatives in Marburg, driving with relatives to Erfurt, Rothenburg ob der Tauber, Nurnberg from Dec 20- 23. Then from Dec 25-30 just us 3 travel by train from Marburg to Regensburg, to Salzburg, then either Munich, Heidelberg,or Cologne. Will spend 2 nights in Salzburg, unsure of whether to stay in Munich 2 nights then on to Heidelberg for day trip only or just go to Cologne and skip Heidelberg. Would welcome your suggestions on any must see places at these cities/towns and favorite B& B's you may have stayed which were reasonably priced for 3 people.

Many thanks!
John

Posted by
8941 posts

Are you flying out of Frankfurt? Cologne seems a bit out of the way with the rest of your trip.

I am a fan of Heidelberg and find it beautiful and interesting. One of my favorite things there is the Student Prison and the Aula, though the castle itself is magnificent. Both of the main churches in or near the town square are well worth a visit.

Posted by
12040 posts

Don't skimp on Marburg and some of the towns in the area, like Wetzlar, Dillenberg, and Braunfels (huge castle here). These are all really nice, well preserved towns. Marburg might just be one of the most attractive towns in Germany. If their Christmas markets coincide with your visit, it might be a better use of your time to check out these places than to go far out of your way to Rothenburg odT and Nurnberg. And if the idea of a scenic old walled town appeals to you, consider the beautiful but virtually ignored (by foreign tourists) Fritzlar.

Posted by
16893 posts

Rick's guidebook includes his B&B recommendations for most towns you've mentioned, except Heidelberg and Regensburg, and you may not be planning overnights in those. There have been many previous Munich hotel discussions on this forum, which may interest you, especially pros and cons of the area around the main train station.

Posted by
23265 posts

You do realize that the German Christmas markets will start closing around noon on Christmas eve. Many will be completely gone by dark.

Posted by
8941 posts

That Christmas markets close on the 24th is a common misconception. Most of them have their last day on the 22nd or 23rd. Only a very few are open at all on the 24th. The vendors want to be closed down and back home before the 24th. There are of course markets that are open on the 25th and later, but again, very few. Check the website for each city to get the closing dates of their Christmas market.

Posted by
23265 posts

I guess I should have been more specific. When we were in Munich, two years ago, the main markets in central Munich started closing down around 2pm on the 24th.