Please sign in to post.

Germany Trip in June 2019

Hi all,

Our family (2 kids, 17 and 11) is about to take our first trip over to Germany and we've been researching potential stops and have a tentative itinerary set and thought it'd be good to get other feedback. Wanting to take our time and not feel rushed but take advantage of what we can while over there.

Day 1 - Arrive in Berlin (3 nights)
Day 4 - Travel to Nurnberg (1 night)
Day 5 - Travel to Rothenburg (2 nights)
Day 7 - Travel to Munich (3 nights) - Visiting the city, Dachau, and possibly a day trip to Salzburg here
Day 10 - Travel to Fussen (2 nights)
Day 12 - Departure

Spending too much or too little time anywhere? It may be better to spend 2 nights in Nurnberg rather than Rothenburg?

Thanks in advance for the feedback!

Posted by
32692 posts

Departure from where? Füssen has no airport.

Posted by
5580 posts

I'd be more inclined to spend 2 days in Salzburg and just 1 in Fussen. Or do Fussen as the Munich day trip.

Posted by
1580 posts

Here are the International airports near Fussen, Germany for Departure:

Fussen, Germany

79 km: Memmingen, Germany (FMM / EDJA) Memmingen Airport
103 km: Innsbruck, Austria (INN / LOWI) Innsbruck Kranebitten Airport

You can also flip flop Fussen and Munich on your itinerary. Visit Fussen and save Munich for the last city on your trip so you can have the option to fly out from Munich.

Posted by
2179 posts

I want to make you very aware of the minimum age recommendation from Dachau Memorial:
https://www.kz-gedenkstaette-dachau.de/frequently-asked-questionsfaq/items/is-the-memorial-site-appropriate-for-children-9.html

In the interest of your younger kid please take that seriously. Even some very empathic adult people report personal issues after visiting such a memorial.

As an alternative you can make yourself familiar with Stolpersteine in Berlin which allows reflection of that part of history on a very concrete example.

Posted by
1580 posts

Day 1 - Arrive in Berlin (4 nights)

Day 4 - Travel to Rothenburg (3 nights) Day trip to Nuremberg

Day 7 - Travel to Fussen (2 nights)

Day 9 - Travel to Munich (3 nights) - Visiting the city, Dachau, and possibly a day trip to Salzburg here

Fly out from Munich

Posted by
2 posts

Thanks for the feedback so far!

Regarding flying out we were thinking of going back to Munich - flip flopping Fussen and Munich is a good suggestion! I also like the idea of less moving of luggage by staying in Rothenburg for 3 nights.

Re: Dachau, I appreciate the heads up - my son will be 12 in July and acts a lot more mature than average for his age, but also is a very empathetic kid so we will need to put more thought into that for sure.

Posted by
7637 posts

I lived in Augsburg, Germany (50 miles west of Munich) for five years and have been to all these places, some more than once.

One day it enough in Nurnberg. Just a note, the city was bombed out in WWII, the walls are still there, but most of the ancient looking buildings were rebuilt after the war. Rothenburg was only bombed a little. The vast majority of the Medieval walled city is the original construction. Still, having been there twice, you can do the city in one day. Of course, it depends on when you arrive in those two cities to have a full day to visit. Not sure that I would spend the night in Rothenburg, since I imagine it would be expensive.

I would recommend doing a tour of the Romantic Road, which starts in Wurzburg and goes down to Garmisch/Fussen. There are several other small cities and towns similar to Rothenberg.
Nurnberg does have the museum where the war trial were held and you can visit the old rally grounds.

I would not take an 11 year old to Dachau. My wife and I visited Dachau as well as Auschwitz in Poland and she had nightmares for some time.

Posted by
2394 posts

While I know there are expensive places to stay in Rothenburg, I have always found decent places for a good price. Next fall, 22.50 E each for my wife and I.

Look at the excellent town website rothenburg.de for accommodation lists. I would recommend staying in an apartment. More room, can prepare some meals, probably cheaper