Please sign in to post.

Germany Travel

Advice very much appreciated. We are considering hiring a car from Baden-Baden to drive north to Cologne over 3-5 days.
Looking at going from Baden-Baden to Stuttgart, Heidelburg, Marksburg, Koblenz to Cologne.
Would rather not use motorways and strick to smaller roads, sightseeing along the way and stopping for a night or 2 when/where we like.
I would love to hear of special places to see/stay and places to visit please. Also advise on driving as we are from Australia.
Or any other suggestions please. TIA

Posted by
32756 posts

when is the trip?

Stuttgart has a similar event to Oktoberfest, the Cannstatter Volksfest. It gets very busy.

If you are going to Stuttgart and like Ritter Sport chocolates, the factory is in a Stuttgart suburb, with cafe and shop of move flavours than you thought possible.

All the places you mention are easily linked by fast, frequent train, just by the way.

Posted by
1291 posts

Sure you know you will be driving on the right while sitting on the left? Automatic might be better. My Navi allows me to choose secondary roads. Stuttgart to Bad Wimpfen, then follow the Neckar River to Heidelberg.

Posted by
7667 posts

Stuttgart does have a good fest and a great Daimler and Porsche Museum, but it is well know in Germany as stau city. Stau means heavy traffic road block. Plan on delays if you go there.

Posted by
32756 posts

interesting point, geovagriffith, maybe that's why I usually stay just out of town in the lovely little medieval town of Waiblingen. Absolutely love it there.

I've been pretty lucky with traffic, although going through Cannstatt around the Volksfest was a bit of a zoo so we took the train in that evening.

We enjoyed visiting Esslingen and its wall too, to say nothing of the man walking the plank in the town.