Please sign in to post.

Germany itinerary suggestions

Will be in Germany for 7 days in September coming from Austria via train & renting car in Munich. Here's our itinerary thus far. My question is: Will we be spending too much time in car? Should we stay longer/less in each town? Suggestions appreciated. Thanks!

Rent car in Munich & drive to Fussen. Stay overnight.
Drive to Freiburg, stay 2 nights.
Drive to Heidelberg, stay 2 nights.
Drive to Munich, stay 2 nights.
Fly home from Munich.

Posted by
19099 posts

Traveling to a town one day, checking in and unpacking, staying 2 nights, then repacking, checking out, and traveling to another town the next means spending only one full day (and small parts of others) in that town. I think one full day in Freiburg, Heidelberg, and Munich is not much stay time out of a 7 day trip.

Posted by
6652 posts

You can reduce the ground travel distances by substituting for Freiburg and Heidelberg cities that are closer in but similar in character. Consider Regensburg (UNESCO World Heritage old town,) Landshut, Nuremberg, Augsburg, Ulm, or possibly some smaller places... Landsberg am Lech, Harburg, and Nördlingen for example, on the Romantic Road north of Füssen. All these places are in Bavaria. Here's a map. I think your original plan will mean more than 1,000 km of driving.

H'berg and Freiburg are nice but IMHO are somewhat less interesting than most of the options above anyway (and that would be true even if they were closer to Munich.)

Consider also the extensive rail network in Bavaria for getting to these places. I don't see a car as an convenience or as a savings advantage for most of these destinations.

Detailed rail line map:
https://www.bahn.de/regional/view/mdb/pv/deutschland_erleben/bayern/regionales/diverses/2015/mdb_185091_20130717_sk_by.pdf

Posted by
1557 posts

Rent a holiday apartment in a town close to Munich for seven days, such as Landsberg, Murnau, Oberammergau or Bad Tolz. Munich will be easy and swift to reach by train. Nice scenery, hiking, and a few worthy sites close by.

Posted by
3049 posts

Russ is 100% right on this. I hate to not rep for Baden-Wurttemberg but stay in Bavaria, I honestly prefer the cities he listed to both Heidelberg and Freiburg. Both have some pretty views but have far less to do/see than Regensburg, Nurnberg, etc.