Please sign in to post.

Germany Itinerary

We will be in Heidelberg for 2 days then heading to Brussels. We will have a few days to visit some western cities in German on our way. We travel via train. We have been to Frankfurt, Mainz, Stuttgart, Cologne, Trier, and Aachen on a previous trip and looking for a new city or two. Our interests are art, churches, beer, history. Considering Worms and Speyer. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Posted by
4796 posts

Although it is in the opposite direction take a look at Wurzburg and see if it holds any interest for you.

Posted by
268 posts

Worms and Speyer are smaller than the cities you have visited, but they are both worth a visit, and both easily reached from Heidelberg. In fact, they can be done as day trips from Heidelberg, or you do Speyer as a day trip, then head towards Brussels the next day, with a stop in Worms for a few hours. I assume you already know about the cathedral in Speyer and the adjacent historic museum. There is also a technology museum nearby; it has a strange mixture of exhibitions (including the Soviet space shuttle, a Boeing 747, and lots of historic planes and cars), but I think you might consider this as well.

An alternative might be the Ruhr area with a couple of sites related to the mining history of the region (such as the mining museum in Bochum and the Zeche Zollverein, a UNESCO world heritage site in Essen).

Posted by
7260 posts

You didn't give the time of year, so I don't know if the Black Forest would be too muddy. It's easily done by train. You didn't mention Dusseldorf, but it's in the same general direction as Cologne. However, with possible visits to adjacent cities (like Wuppertal and Moenchengladbach ) there's lots to do. And it's certainly known for ... beer. Münster is out of your way, but it's loaded with churches, art, and history. I wouldn't go there in winter, but the UNESCO park/art museum in Kassel is superb. The city is known for modern art and newer buildings, however.

There's a lot more to the Mosel valley than Trier. I don't think it's worth going to Luxembourg City if you've been to Trier. But eastern Belgium and eastern Netherlands have lots to see, maybe via Monschau, if it's trainable.

Edit: Time of year also affects Middle Rhine boat ride availability.

Posted by
70 posts

We have been to Würzburg and Bamberg and loved them both. We will be traveling in April. Yes, we know about what is in Speyer and Worms. Just wondering out loud if there is someplace else we should check out. I love getting the feedback.

Posted by
19091 posts

Have you ever seen the mid-Rhine gorge (Bingen to Koblenz). If not, that would make, IMO, a good choice along with Speyer and Worms. The part from Bingen to St. Goar is a good pick for a boat cruise, Rheinfels castle ruins in St. Goar is interesting, as is the Marksburg castle in Braubach, just up from Koblenz. The Rhine gorge is serviced by hourly trains on both sides.

Posted by
14499 posts

Hi,

You mention that among your interests is history, Does that include war history? If so, I very much suggest Rastatt too, if you're into some esoteric military history.