Please sign in to post.

Germany/Italy Trip Summer 2017

We are in the very early stages of planning. The must do of the trip is the Porsche Museum. We initially thought Germany, Austria, Switzerland and now have drafted an itinerary Germany/Northern Italy. We have been to Italy and seen Venice, Florence, Rome on a previous trip. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

A car rental would be necessary. Does this make sense or are trains better and stay in larger cities?
Fly into Frankfurt from Toronto, ON

Day 1 (Sleep Frankfurt)
- Rome around Frankfurt
- Cathedral of St. Bartholomew
- Eiserner Steg

Day 2 (Sleep Frankfurt)
- Rhine River Cruise & Castles

Day 3 (Sleep Rothenburg)

- Drive down the Rhine and explore cities like Heidelberg ending up in Rothenburg in the evening

Day 4 (Sleep Stuggart)
- Explore Rothenburg

- Continue on to Stuggart

Day 5 (Sleep Stuggart)

- Porsche Museum

Day 6 (Sleep Stuggart)
- Explore Stuggart

Day 7 (Sleep In Munich)
- Leave Stuggart and drive towards Munich explore Dachau on the way to Munich

Day 8 (Sleep Italian Dolmites)
- Neuschwanstein Castle
- Ending in Bolzano (Near Italian Dolmites)

Day 9 (Sleep Italian Dolmites)
- Explore Dolmites

Day 10 (Sleep Italian Dolmites
- Explore Dolmites

Day 11 (Sleep Cingque Terre)
- Go to Cinque Terre

Day 12 (Sleep Cinque Terre)
- Explore Cinque Terre

Day 13 (Sleep Italian Lakes)
- Drive to Lake Como and Maggiorre
Day 14 (Sleep Italian Lakes)
- Explore Italian Lakes

Day 15 (Sleep Milan)
- Head to Milan

Day 16 (Sleep Milan)
- Explore Milan be sure to visit Milans magnificent Duomo

Day 17
-Fly Milan to Toronto

Posted by
332 posts

There are a few things I want to point out, Rothenburg is not on the Rhine River and it is a bit far from Stuttgart. I would take this off my list for this trip.

I would also consider the Mercedes Museum while in Stuttgart. It is one of the best museums I have ever been to. I will say that it took us about 4 hours to go through. The Porsche Museum Museum maybe took us 2 hours.

If you have extra time in Stuttgart, there is a town not too far from there called Boblingen. They have a place called Motorworld on an old airplane runway. Motorworld is a really cool car museum/storage place there. The boys geeked out here. There were so many cool cars.

Munich has the BMW world too. So another thing for car people :)

I might consider skipping Neuschwanstein, it is a bit out of your way.

Posted by
485 posts

I personally think it's too much to cover each day. We were in Germany/Austria during December, staying in Bavaria and Salzburg the whole time. Travel by car (or train) took up a lot of time, giving us less time to explore (and we stayed at least 2-3 nights in each town on our list). Just be aware that what you have on paper will most likely not work out exactly as planned.