Please sign in to post.

Germany in November/December

I will be heading to Germany 25 Nov-11 December and I'm looking for help with planning. I've done some research (thanks to Rock's 2016 Germany but thought input from others that have been might help. We will be flying into Dusseldorf (my husband is being sent for work) on 25 November and are free to do as we please until 3 December. I'd like to go to Brussels, Baden Baden, Frankfurt, Stuttgart and Munich. Our trip will be split into before his work 25 Nov-3 December (free to travel as we please) 3 December-8 December (in Dusseldorf for work) and 8 December - 11 December (free to do as we please). I am planning on going to Munich after he is done with work as we are flying out of there and heading to Milan for a week.

Any thoughts would be appreciated, I'd like to visit some Christmas Markets, see a few castles and explore the Rhine, Black Forest and Bavaria. Also input on renting a car for the trip or traveling by train would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Posted by
15576 posts

The Christmas markets are everywhere. Be sure to allow time for Esslingen's medieval market, including daytime and after dark. It's a short commute from Stuttgart. The markets I liked least were in Frankfurt, but I went to the ones in Mainz and Wiesbaden as day trip, excellent.

Posted by
12040 posts

Keep in mind the weather and hours of daylight at that time of year. It's usually not particularly cold, but rather damp and overcast. This casts sort of grey hazy curtain over the countryside. The atmosphere won't negatively affect most of the urban destinations you have picked, but it does mean that instead of the brilliant technicolor vistas you see in travel videos (usually filmed in the summer), the rural landscapes hide behind a layers of fog and haze for most of the day, on the majority of days.

Also, you may want to supplement your research with other sources besides Rick Steves. His book concentrates predominantly on southern Germany, and he tends to elevates some destinations as being far more unique than they actually are. For example, there's about 100 officially designated spa towns in Germany, but reading his book, you'd think Baden-Baden was the only one. If you really want the bathing experience, much closer to Düsseldorf are the ancient city of Aachen, Bad Neuenahr just off the Rhine (it's twin town, Ahrweiler, maintains it's old defensive wall and many of it's traditional buildings), Wiesbaden (the king of spa resorts) and probably several closer to Düsseldorf that I don't know about. Look for a guidebook that devotes some chapters to the states of Nordrhein-Westpfalen and Niedersachsen.

The famous Mittelrhein is within daytrip distance of Düsseldorf, but it's a little far. You may want to consider spending the night somwhere along the river so that you don't feel rushed by the setting sun. Also, don't overlook Bonn, which is a very elegant city.

I wouldn't bother with the Black Forest. At that time of year, it could very well be hidden in fog. If you really want to see a forested mountain range, the Eifel, Sauerland, Westerwald, Taunus, Hunsrück, Odenwald and Pfälzerwald are all much closer. But as noted, early winter simply isn't a good time for exploring the wilderness.

There's plenty to do in Düsseldorf for a shopper or business traveler, less so for a leisure traveler. However, the upscale residential district of Oberkasel on the opposite bank or the Rhine can offer a nice urban walk. I don't believe there's any particular "sites" to explore, but rather it's just a very pleasent neighborhood filled with amazing turn of the century architecture.

If you'll have a car, consider a daytrip to the small Belgian city of Hasselt. The city itself is pleasent, if nothing special, but every year during the holiday season, they host "Winterland", which is sort of an elaborate hybrid of a carnival and Christmas market. Best experienced in the evening.

Posted by
3 posts

Thank you for the information on the Christmas Markets and Tom, wow.....thank you for all the information, I went and picked up another book and will research all you have mentioned.