Please sign in to post.

Germany in December 2014

My wife and I are traveling for 6 weeks stating in late Nov, the front end of the trip is locked (8 days) as is the last (10 days). We are in the planning stage now for 7 through 21 Dec, looking for ideas, our interests are the Mosel Valley and Black Forrest. We will have all the Christmas Markets covered and the Alps with skiing. Would love to hear suggestions on best using our rail pass...

Posted by
19630 posts

What kind of pass did you get? Where are you skiing? Garmisch, or are you venturing into Austria?

Posted by
8889 posts

You say "the front end of the trip is locked .... as is the last", but where is in Germany is the front end and the last 10 days? This will have a big influence on what is do-able or recommended for the intermediate 14 days.

Posted by
8 posts

One month 10 day twin pass for my wife and I, we will have not used any of the days but expect to use at least one day to get to Garmisch on 21 Dec 7 days there staying in Edelweiss Military Lodge... interested in both Basel and Salzburg options. Or a quick trip to Venice for two days... we are open for suggestions.

Posted by
19630 posts

Is it a German Rail Pass or a Eurail Pass? Makes a difference for going to Venice. Not a bad idea though, even if it is extra.

Posted by
8 posts

German rail pass, will buy excursion if needed. Will start two weeks near Dusseldorf. Headed to either Rhine or Mosel for a few days, want to see Baden Baden, and other points, have two weeks to be in Garmisch.

Posted by
19630 posts

Salzburg should be fine. Hallstatt, bring your skis and take a few runs. Dachstein is right next door.

Moseltal in late fall? Give it a shot. Probably not too much happening compared to summer and fall with harvest time and strassenweinfesten, but who knows. Check the events calendar here.

Scenery along the Rhine gorge is great anytime.

I won't even mention the infamous Kaethe Wohlfahrt Christmas stores in Rothenburg (oops, I just did).

Nuremberg has the BIG Christkindlmarkt. Munich is always happening.

As is normal, the problem is editing, not figuring out where to go.

PS. Oh yeh, Papa Joe's Biersalon in the Cologne Altstadt.

Posted by
9 posts

Salzburg is beautiful in Dec.! We will be there for Christmas Eve, Christmas and the day after. Ideas for that area: Berchtesgaden Salt Mines, that's where a lot of the artwork from the Louvre was hidden from the Nazis right under Hitlers nose (near Hitler's Eagle's Nest.) I believe the Eagle's Nest however, is closed at that time. Also, near Garmisch Partenkirchen is the Partnach Klamm which is a fascinating gorge if you're interested in a hike through what will probably be an ice cave/winter wonderland at that time. We are taking a sleigh ride to some of the smaller villages outside of Salzburg on Christmas Day. Salzburg is one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen. And I've traveled extensively around Europe. As for Germany, Rothenburg ob der Tauber is supposed to be wonderful. We will be there for the first time around the same time that you and your wife will be. The Christmas Market is good, I've heard. We are going to Bacharach, Rothenburg oct, Nuremburg (lots of interesting history and a great Christmas Market,) a quick 1/2 day through Heidelberg, down to Salzburg, in and around there (Berchtesgaden and Garmisch Partenkirchen and then on to Munich. There are lots of things to do in Munich and outside of it, like Neuschanstein Castle and Dachau. I hope this helps. Have a wonderful trip!

Posted by
8 posts

Cum18,,,, Thanks for your insight, we will do a river cruise from 25 Nov to 1 Dec, Frankfurt to Nuremburg, then go north to visit family near Dussledorf until 8 Dec. From there we hope to spend time in Salzburg and maybe down to Venice. We will wind up spending Christmas in Garmisch and then home later after 1 Jan. We love Bavaria, been there often during the Summer, now we want the winter experience. We will post our travels in the forum... anything you want to add I appreciate.

Posted by
8375 posts

When I was there in 2008, the Edelweiss offered bus tours to visit Neuschwanstein, Weisskirche Oberammergau and other attractions in the area. That makes it easy to see some of these without needing to use up the pass.