Please sign in to post.

Germany Christmas Markets 2024

Good Morning

I am planning a trip to Germany from November 23rd to the 30th with the intent to visit 3 or 4 Christkindelmarkts. However, I am not entirely sure if the markets will begin by that time frame.

I have read that the markets open the weekend/week before Advent Sunday. In 2023 Advent Sunday was December 3rd and many of the markets opened on November 23rd (Thursday) or November 27th (Monday).

So based on my own logic (which has failed me in the past), Advent Sunday in 2024 is December 1st, I assume the markets will be open on November 21st (Thursday) or November 25th (Monday).

Does this seem right? I have looked online for some sort of website that lists start dates in general and have looked at city specific websites for open dates and have yet to find anything.

Any assistance, insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Posted by
4710 posts

Perhaps contact the Tourist Information Centers in each of your intended cities. You are going early in the season. Good luck!

Posted by
6642 posts
Posted by
8943 posts

Many Christmas markets are most likely to begin after Toten Sonntag which is on 24.11.2024.
The Frankfurt market will most likely begin on 25.11, even though they don't have the dates posted yet on their website. It just always begins after this.

I went to the Rüdesheim market this year on Toten Sonntag and it was considered to be a "Quiet Market" with no music. It was actually nice not to have those same songs playing everywhere.

Posted by
245 posts

I strongly suggest researching the dates for the Christmas markets you want to visit. I booked a flight to arrive in Munich November 28 this year and planned to visit Nuremberg, Strasbourg, Stuttgart/Esslingen, and Munich/Salzburg. I even bought some train tickets only to find I had to reverse the order to accomplish my plan. I hit Stuttgart on opening day and Nuremberg the second day. I lost a couple train tickets but had a great trip otherwise! Don't assume anything.

Posted by
2908 posts

Hi,

You don’t say where you plan on visiting. Germany is a big country. IF you plan on the are south of Munich, well, many in Austria start a little after mid November. Salzburg and Innsbruck as examples.

Posted by
9 posts

Thank you all for the assistance as I am indeed attempting to do my due diligence before making any reservations.

The plan is to stay in Strasbourg (I know it is in France) and visit the Colmar, Freiburg and Heidelberg Christkindelmarkts.

If anyone has additional suggestions or information please add on.

Posted by
9 posts

I did take the advice to contact the tourism office of some of the cities. In case anyone is interested here is what has been definitively been set.

Stuttgart - opens on the 27th of November
Colmar (in France) - opens on the 28th of November
Strasbourg (in France) - probably the 29th of November, but it is still to be determined so not exactly definitive

Posted by
12 posts

May I also recommend near Freiburg, is a highly unusual market in the Ravenna Gorge. Locals rave about this market. I was in Strasbourg and Freight this year and heard about Ravenna, but did not get there.

Posted by
9 posts

Thank you for the suggestion but I am taking my 80 year old mom and dad on this trip and I do not think that the Ravenna Christmas Market is possible. I looked into the Ravenna Gorge, it looks amazing but unfortunately is not in the cards for this trip.

Posted by
90 posts

Just a note re. Strasbourg; if you're driving a German rental car you won't have the proper French Emissions sticker to get anywhere near Strasbourg. And with a French car, the sticker is wrong for Stuttgart and Freiberg! That's a whole other can of worms!

Posted by
451 posts

Individual markets vary, even within a city. For example, Hamburg's Santa Pauli usually opens mid November, a week ahead of the other markets. Some places are only open on weekends. I would look into the places you want to go and research individual opening dates.

Posted by
9 posts

Good advice on the car rental, however we are doing train travel only. Thank you though for the heads up, I can see how that could definitely ruin a day out.

Posted by
9 posts

I also appreciate the heads up regarding markets opening. I have been reading about the various markets in some of the bigger cities, I did not realize there were as many as 8 markets in a city.

I attended college in Vienna back in 1993, I was too young to realize how various the markets were at the time, it all just seemed the same to me.

Posted by
12 posts

I traveled by train this past year from Strasbourg to freiburg. Easy. Just get to the station and purchase this ticket for next train at the kiosks. I used the DB app while in Germany.

Posted by
9 posts

Big believer in train travel when visiting Europe, especially the trains in Germany and Austria. I am always a little leery of the Italian trains but still use them. Life/travel is so much easier with efficient train travel.

Thank you for your input but you are preaching to the choir.

Posted by
4710 posts

In most towns, the Tourist Info Centers, usually close to the train stations, have hard copy maps pointing out the various Xmas markets. They usually also have wooden holiday sign posts in the main plaza pointing to the directions of the specific markets. Have a magical time!

Posted by
9 posts

Thank you for the insight, I appreciate it since I am normally exiting a train station as fast as I can so I can start exploring.

Posted by
138 posts

Have been to Strasbourg, Colman and Heidelberg Markets - they are wonderful. So assuming they are open, and I believe they will be at least near the end of your time, you will have a grand time. Bring bubble wrap to wrap those beautiful gluhwein mugs you get at each market - very special mementoes!

Posted by
9 posts

I think I may be most excited about visiting Colmar, it seems like a really charming little city to visit. Thank you for the advice about bubble wrap, that is a great idea and not one I have thought of in the past.

Posted by
1 posts

We had a German rental car and no problem driving into Strasbourg. Emission sticker was not an issue