Please sign in to post.

Germany + Bastogne2Berchestgaden...advisable # days June 2019

Thank you in advance for your time and advice! I hope this didn't post 2x as I tried editing the original, and it disappeared.

*I’ve read the forum blogs here (most of them covering at least 10 pages, some of them 20) for Germany, Belgium, Austria, General Europe, etc….to try and narrow down what we’d like to see, what your advice has been to past travelers, etc. Below is very tentatively what I’ve come up with after reading such, based on what we’d like to do/see. I want to run it past you all and see if we’re reaching too far, not enough, if the time frame/nights spent is advisable, and well as my other requests.

*Would like any additional tips on purchasing airfare, can fly out of San Diego (origin), Los Angeles, Seattle (I’ve seen inexpensive non- or 1 stop flights from here, and we’re willing to fly up there – have Alaska Air miles can use for this portion) and would like to fly into Frankfurt as it is closest to Kaiserslautern, going to be getting rental car and have tentatively planned a circular driving route). I’ve read here that we should be looking at purchasing our airfare 6-8 months out, and have seen recommendations to check Google Flights, Skyscanner, Momondo for prices and options. I've seen that the Nordic carriers might be our best bet for flights from SEA to FRA, pricing around $600-800, but Condor from SAN to FRA is around $1,000+...

*We’d like to experience/tour/see WW2, Alpine villages, historic buildings, castles/palaces, a cable car (or similar) ride to mountain tops, hiking, countryside/lakes/gorges and Roman ruins; not excited on big cities nor art museums, and would definitely choose to visit smaller, less tourist populated areas (ie. willing to skip Rothenburg ob der Tauber and visit a smaller village instead along the Romantic Road, and so on)

*trip dates – any time after beginning of June 2019 – probably looking at 16-18 days, including travel days; traveling with 2 adults and a 20 year old (our airman) and a 17 year old, both boys and up for any adventure; would prefer to stay in Air BnB/HomeAway, or similar, ideally some place with a kitchen to prepare meals and save on dining out expenses, or a B&B for breakfast, then pack lunch and eat some dinners out…

Tentatively:

2 nights to adjust to travel/jet lag: Kaiserslautern – take a Rhine River cruise, see Werner Chapel, travel to….

2-3 nights: Bastogne/Luxembourg (city) –see Bastogne and the WW2 Memorial, American Cemetery in Hamm, Luxembourg and the WW2 Museum, Trier for the Roman ruins, travel to….

2 nights (stay in/near Colmar) Strasbourg & Colmar, FR – the Cathedral de Notre Dame, Colmar (possibly Pearls of Alsace tour), Black Forest day trip, travel to...

3-4 nights: Castles & Palaces, hikes tour Neuschwanstein [maybe just view Neuschwanstein from Mary’s Bridge], visit the other castles - Ehrenberg Castle/Highline 179, Honenschwangau, Linderhof Palace), Zugspitze, Leutasch Gorge hike, (recommendations on an area that would/might be most centrally located to all of these – maybe the Garmisch- Partenkirchen area?), travel to….

2-3 nights (recommendations on area to stay?): Berchtesgaden, Eagles Nest (tour with David & Kristine Harper's company), Königssee, Herrenchiemsee Palace, Dachau, travel to…

1 night?: Drive the Romantic Road….visit a village or two along the way back to Kaiserslautern….

Posted by
11147 posts

From Colmar, visit the charming villages on the wine route Kaysersberg( birthplace of Dr Albert Schweitzer, and WWII battle, Riquewehr, Eguisheim etc. Thatched roofs, stork nests. Picturesque!
Eagle’s Nest is incredible.

Posted by
20072 posts

Since you have an interest in WWII history, in the village of Turckheim, just outside of Colmar, stop in at the Colmar Pocket Museum http://musee.turckheim-alsace.com/EN/Memorial/Origine2.htm

Also, the names of the town's war dead on bronze plaques on the church in Kaysersberg. This was Germany in WWI and was annexed by Germany in WWII, so the Ostfront was the destination for all the conscripts.

Audie Murphy won his Congressional Medal of Honor nearby.

Posted by
703 posts

over a number of trips we have visited nearly all of the places you mention.( we have driven around and stayed at for some time)
your list seems too long to me, yes you might see a lot but it might too much travelling and moving? If you have planned out each day and having trouble fitting them in, I would ditch the large cities.

given that you have two teen-ages with you I would definitely consider including the dachstein mountain area. It is not that far from Berchtesgaden/Salzburg. ( also a spectacular area with lots to offer) the area around the ramsau (dachstein) has so much to offer, in a small area and would tick a lot of your boxes. plenty of activities and beautiful small villages. IMO, it is highly underrated, compared to some of the mountain areas in switzerland and germany, given you wont have much time.
If time is limited, I would definitely prefer to go to austria, than say spending too much time than say the rhine or the romantic road. ( ie: you will see plenty of half timbered houses in most of the other places anyway)
https://www.derdachstein.at/en ( cable car/ice cave etc- great meals at the top BTW)
https://www.zipline.at/ ( a must do/consider)
we find the general bavaria/austria area very reasonable for accomodation. definitely consider staying at a Pension ( guest house/B&B) as the locals can give you so much good advice. much better than hotels and the money you will save might help with evening meals. also ask the accomodation about 'summer cards' etc where you get free or discounted transport/activities.

If you are in Berchtesgaden also consider going to the therme
http://www.watzmann-therme.de/en
its open til late and was great after a long day of walking etc. just something different to do after dinner.
yes the usual tourist things are worth seeing, but there are also a lot of very interesting 'non tourist' things to see and do, without the crowds.
we were in berchtesgaden again last year in may/june and our friends went to eagles nest etc, LOTS of people. ( we did it some years ago, with far less people) consider the document centre ( uses the same car park as eagles nest)

have you considered not doing a circular route, eg: fly out of a different city? just a thought.

hope this helps

Posted by
4 posts

Thank you for the suggestions, please keep them coming! Thank you for the info on the WW2 areas in Colmar. The Document Center with the Eagles Nest tour - yes! We could fly out of a different airport as long as we can get our airman back to Kaiserslautern (via train? they run everywhere it seems).

Posted by
1221 posts

Garmisch-P is the place to be for the Zugspitze, Gorge, and assorted other mountain walks, and the town itself is quite compact and walkable. Yes, it's rather touristy, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Posted by
4 posts

Would love to hear more advice on our trip ideas - especially advisable # of days at each location, and places to stay the last three sections - "castles & palaces", "Berchtesgaden area", and "Romantic Road stop" that is centrally located (especially for the castles & palaces stop, and the Berchtesgaden stop).

We're dropping Neuschwanstein from the list, but still up from viewing it from afar - Mary's Bridge possibly?

And, thoughts on Hohenschwangau vs. Linderhof Palace vs. Herrenchiemsee Palace? Are they all too similar? Recommend which 2 of the 3?