I am in the process of (trying) to plan a two week vacation visiting Germany and Austria in late-May, 2023. We are a mid-50's couple (no kids) who enjoy the outdoors, scenery, architecture, and small towns. We spent two weeks in Switzerland a few years ago and fell in love with the mountains. So, far we've booked flights in and out of Munich. We've begun to put together a list of places we'd like to see and have read most of Rick's books on these areas. I'm hoping you might be able to provide some insight and critique on our plans.
Since we have an overnight flight into Munich, we're planning to spend the first three nights in Munich. Although, we're typically not 'city' people, it seems like there's lots to see in Munich and we shouldn't miss it. For the next nine nights, we'd like to wander through southern Germany and Austria to see a number of sights. Here is a rough idea of where we're at in terms of planning our itinerary:
- Munich - Three nights - Tour Munich, pickup rental car on last day in Munich
- Garmisch/Mittenwald areas - three nights - visit Neuschwanstein, Fussen, Oberammergau, Mittenwald, and Innsbruck (maybe)
- Kitzbuhel - three nights - visit Schloss Herrenchiemsee, Grossglocker High Alpine Road, Gerlos Road, Zell am See
- Just our Salzburg area (Wals??, Anif??) - three nights - visit Salzburg, Hallstatt, Wolfgansee, Bad Ischl, Salzkammergut lakes, etc
- Munich Airport Hotel - last night - have an early flight so will stay at airport night before.
We're going to rent a car as we feel it gives us lots of options and we are able to use 'travel' days between areas to actually visit places on the way rather than get bogged down in worrying about where to store luggage, etc if we took the train.
I'm (really) trying to minimize the number of times that we have to change hotels, but in looking at places/sights that we wanted to visit, it seemed that these areas were centrally located (typically no more than an hour from the overnight location). We're also considering staying just outside Salzburg to give us more flexibility with visiting places in the area and not having to park in garages, etc. in downtown Salzburg.
Also: We'll be visiting during Pentecost/Whitmonday and Corpus Christi. I understand that these are national holidays, but curious to know how much they will affect our travels.
Is this itinerary too optimistic? Would be eternally grateful for insights, comments, suggestions, on how to improve our vacation plans. Any specific hotel recommendations would be welcome as well. We tend to like more quiet, outside the city locations.
Thanks, in advance, for your input!