Please sign in to post.

Germany and Switzerland

Hello,

My husband and I are planning a 20 days trip to Germany ( we have been once to Bavaria 10 years agoand loved there so want to repeat and then Switzerland ( First time).
How should we travel from Germany to Switzerland. I always thought would be nice to do a train trip in Europe .
Any recommendations of itinerary? Trains? Where to stay?
Thank you ,

Silvia Bohlke

Posted by
32813 posts

Hi silvia.bohike73

where in Germany will this trip start? Where in Switzerland?

Do you go back to Germany to fly home or fly from Switzerland?

Posted by
7683 posts

Just a reminder, Switzerland is expensive, even compared to Germany. Still, it's great to visit.

Lucerne would be good. I loved Interlakken. Geneva is in the far SW corner, but worth a day.
There is much more, if you can try to visit Zermatt.

I always visiting by car, but check out rail connections, I am sure it shouldn't be a problem.

Posted by
11169 posts

In Switzerland, visit the Berner Oberland for outstanding mountain views. Look at staying in Grindelwald, Wengen or Murren. Also stay on the lake in Lucerne.

Posted by
24 posts

Thank you so much for the kind replies.

Our trip will start and end in Munich, and we want to stay in Bavaria.

We never been to Switzerland, so I would like to spend about 6 days there.

We will divide the trip between Germany, Switzerland and South Tyrol.

Thanks again,,

Silvia

Posted by
4412 posts

To learn about trains, visit the Man in Seat 61. Also use Rome2Rio for quick routing overviews.

Posted by
773 posts

Silvia,
I see you've posted twice now basically asking the same question. Is there a reason why you have two Forum threads going? As you've seen in both threads, it might be useful to do a little more research and come back with some specific questions about stops or perhaps even a draft itinerary. Bavaria, Switzerland, and South Tyrol are all pretty broad. What are your interests, activity level, budget, etc? I think you'll get better results from us if we had more specifics upfront.

Posted by
6658 posts

Our trip will start and end in Munich, and we want to stay in Bavaria.

We never been to Switzerland, so I would like to spend about 6 days
there.

So two weeks in Germany. Rick Steves has prioritized suggestions for various lengths of time at the page below. That should be a good starting point for you.

https://www.ricksteves.com/europe/germany/itinerary

If you want to spend ALL 14 Germany-days in BAVARIA, you could easily do that WITHOUT revisiting the same destinations you hit last time. You will miss out on some of the diversity that characterizes Germany, however. I would encourage you to consider another region as well.

Bavaria is huge. To the northwest, it stretches nearly to Frankfurt.
Map of train system in Bavaria:

https://www.bayern-fahrplan.de/media/files/beg_streckennetz.pdf