Please sign in to post.

Germany 2022

My husband and I are planning a trip to Germany for May 2022.
We are both of German heritage -- descendants can be traced to the state of Baden-Wurttemberg. We have a keen interest in WWII history -- my husband's Father and Uncle were in Europe during WWII. My father was stationed in Germany in the fifties. He rode a bike everywhere and took many picture that he later made into slides. I remember as a child seeing the slides and hearing his stories about his experience. My husband recently connected with a third cousin who is German and lives in Germany. So, many reasons to visit!
I am seeking feedback from those of you who have been there done that -- any of your valuable insights will be greatly appreciated!

Berlin
Most likely spend three days there -- absorbing the culture of the city, WWII sites and a cruise on the River Spree .. but also time to sit in the parks and people watch -- hope to leave the city with an enhanced understanding of it's history
Nurenberg
Two days -- German Museum and WWII sites
Munich
Four days -- one day to experience Munich, guided day trips to Neuwachstein Castle and the Eagles Nest. We will travel to Dachau on our own
Baden Baden
My Dad ancestors are from Baden Baden. Again, we would like to see the town and take a daytrip to Triberg
We will fly out of Frankfurt.
We will use trains in lieu of renting a car.
I have tried to keep things rather light -- my husband is in his 70's and I am in my 60's. I hope to have the freedom to explore without being bound to a strict schedule. We can't see everything -- but hope that this experience will prove to be meaningful!
Many thanks,
Rachael

Posted by
27104 posts

Those sound like good destinations for you.

Be aware that if you fly into Berlin and spend 3 nights there, you'll have only 2 full, non-jetlagged days to explore that huge, sprawling city. It has a lot of historical sights as well as traditional museums, though it's true that a lot of the sights are more Cold War- rather than WWII-related. (I found the Cold War sights fascinating.)

In other words, I think you'll really regret not having considerably more time in Berlin, but you only have so much time (I assume), and I don't know where to tell you to cut days to add them to Berlin.

Posted by
195 posts

Many thanks for your constructive feedback - we will add more time to Berlin!

Posted by
6637 posts

My advice may be "constructive" in the sense that you need to do some fundamental reconstruction.

"I hope to have the freedom to explore without being bound to a strict schedule."

You will be bound to a strict schedule if you follow this plan. There'll be no exploring.

"We can't see everything..."

So why try to include "everything" you found in the Rick Steves (or other) guidebooks?

WW II sites in Berlin AND Nuremberg AND in Munich/Dachau AND in Berchtesgaden... Sure you are interested in WW II but you are letting it dominate your entire trip.

You have so many personal attachments to Germany... so I don't quite understand why you don't spend at least half your time actually exploring the places where your relatives once hung out. Where was your dad stationed? Where were your husband's relatives during WW II? Where were the biking pictures taken? Where does your husband's cousin live? I would try to spend most of my time in these places if I were you.

The biggest mysteries you have to explore are the personal ones - the ones that I assume you will not find in all the "official" museums and all the "official" WW II sites. Won't most of these official things all be "old information" for you anyway, since you have no doubt already learned/studied/ investigated WW II?

Posted by
4825 posts

We have a keen interest in WWII history...

That being the case, you should check out a site known as third reich ruins. It has many, many photos of places that were taken during or just after WWII. For comparison it then has photos of the same places taken more recently.

Posted by
7295 posts

I haven’t been to Neuschwanstein, but it is widely reported here to be missable and maybe under construction?. Having said that, I consider Munich to be overrated and in your itinerary, a huge consumer of travel time.

Posted by
2399 posts

I hope you are planning more than the 9 days you mention.

Train travel is easy and inexpensive with proper planning. When you select the dates, you can get maximum savings by purchasing tickets 6 months prior for long distance trains. There are a wide variety of day tickets that make for good savings for local travel.

By staying in apartments and smaller inns, you can travel fairly inexpensively. Adjusted for inflation, my wife and I are able to travel as cheaply as when “Europe on $10 a Day” was published. We average about 150 Euro per day, total, everything included ( except airfare )

Posted by
63 posts

Try to also arrange for a tour of the Reichstag. The modern portions of the interior have been melded with the bullet holes from the Soviet Army as well as graffiti posted by the soldiers once the capital was taken. Since your trip isn't until 2022 you have plenty of time to look into how to arrange for the tour. Other forum posts gave me great instructions on how that can be done. In fact, this forum was a wonderful resource for planning our trip last summer.

Another site you could consider is the Kaiser Wilhelm Memorial Church. It suffered a great deal of damage in the war and, rather than rebuild it, it was left in it's ruinous state. The Altes Museum on Museum Island also sports bullet holes in it's columned portico - nice spot to take a picture too.

A previous post mentioned going to the German History Museum as does Rick Steve's in his Berlin guide. The museum provided my wife and I with a great historical basis for our trip. No matter how much I thought I knew about German History I only knew the American version of it. The German viewpoint is very direct and no nonsense and much of what I learned stayed with us during our week in Berlin (I recommend staying as long as you can by the way). Stop in their cafe too. They serve a nice sausage platter and a wonderful plum cake.

Berlin is a great city with many different neighborhoods. So much you can do and see and experience. Read as many posts as you can on the forum. We found that the hours we spent learning from the experience of others allowed us to make decisions that really enhanced our trip. Whether it was info on sites to visit, cultural etiquette, using ATMs, riding the ICE trains, lodging or whatever you can't go wrong with the Forum.