Please sign in to post.

Germany 1st Week of April 2019 - Weather?

My family of 4 (children age 14 and 12) are trying to decide on a Spring Break trip (Easter week 2019 - 1st week of April) in Germany (South Germany/Bavaria) vs a Spain trip (Barcelona & Madrid). My wife is concerned that April will be too chilly in Germany to enjoy the outdoors - we live in the Southern US) Given it appears the average temp is in the mid 50s in Germany (possibly colder given the altitude) which would you do? We want to make a decision before we really invest in investigating an itinerary. Thank you in advance for your thoughtful recommendations!

Posted by
11164 posts

We had snow in London and Paris the first week of April. I would choose Spain in early April.

Posted by
94 posts

We spent Easter week 2018 in Salzburg & Munich and currently live in Greenville, SC. The weather was overall good-50s and 60s during the day with some rain. We took layers - lighter winter coats & no heavy sweaters but my youngest and I had lightweight long underwear and we did use it. Hats and gloves didn't get used, though. We didn't do any heavy duty hiking, but did spend time outdoors in Hallein, Werfen, & Neuschwanstein. Hope this helps. We had a great trip with our boys 15 & 11 - I have a trip report on the forum if you're interested.

Posted by
7866 posts

From a Midwest Chicago winter perspective Germany is fine in April. Look at historical averages, and compare the airfare maybe that will help your decision. I would go to Spain if a could afford it in this case. But I was in Germany last April 20 in Berlin Bremen and Lubeck and it was pretty warm.

i will add I was in Germany Easter weekend 2016 specifically Frankfurt, Wurzburg, Rothenburg ob de Tauber and then Koln on the way to Amsterdam to see Keukenoff. There was not a hint of too chilly to enjoy the outdoors.

Posted by
27142 posts

I believe you mean that the average high temperature is in the 50s. That's not the same thing as the average temperature, unless you only plan to be outdoors between 1 PM and 2 PM.

Weather north of the Alps at that time of year is iffy. You might be lucky. Or not. Although bitter cold is very unlikely if you're not way up high, chilly + rainy for me is not a good combination if you want to spend a lot of your time outdoors. If I had to schedule a European trip in April, I agree that southern Spain would be my first thought. Sicily would be my second if I had at least 12 days or so (though 3 weeks would be beter for Sicily).

The website wunderground.com has day-by-day (often hour-by-hour) temperature data going back more years than you'll want to examine. Choose History > Monthly and use the pull-down boxes to select April 2018, then April 2017, etc. Check several years and you'll see the range of what you might expect to experience. And as already mentioned, don't ignore the impact of altitude.

Posted by
8946 posts

It will be whatever it wants to be. The whole range of climate possibilities from mild, beautiful spring weather, to snow and ice. Every year is different and every week in April seems to be different. Last year was awful!

Posted by
4750 posts

We were in Salzburg for Easter 2018, which was April 1! We had appropriate layers for the many temperature variations/rain. One day would be sunny and spring-like; the next gloomy, windy, and winter-like. The weather did not affect our adventures and enjoyment of the trip, however we did miss the flowers, blooming gardens, and leaves on the trees- we were just too early for the spring foliage .

Posted by
1482 posts

April is our favorite month to travel to Germany. Averages are cool and dry with wide variety. We have had snow a couple times which did not bother us as much as heat and humidity would have. We are in our 70’s/60’s and love to walk. We just dress for the weather. If you want warm weather, Germany may not be the place.