Hi there! We land in Frankfurt airport on 9th June at 6.45.am. We will fly out on the 22nd June from same airport. This is our first time in Germany and am really interested in doing the Bavaria/Salzburg region for this leg of our trip. We are torn between taking a flight from Frankfurt to Salzburg as the next safe flight from Frankfurt is at 12.45pm. Its a short flight - 55 mins. The alternative is although a long drive, to engage a driver to take us with in between stops at Nuremberg and Herrenchiemsee. Mydaytrip.com offers such a ride. Right now, the latter option is so tempting:) Anyway, its just me and hubby travelling and we are not museum nor hiking lovers- we love the quaint villages, lakes, alps, scenic etc. Hence have come up with an itinenary as below. Would love to have feedback if I should cut back or add more days in certain places or shd change the route of direction. I have Stuttgart in as I have family who lives there and want to spend time with them. Any advise would be really appreciated!
Germany (13 nights)
Day 1 (9/6)- Fly into Frankfurt- To be Driven to Salzburg
• Engage a driver via my day trip from Frankfurt airport to Salzburg with a stop over at Nuremberg and Herrenchiemsee for sightseeing.
• Stay in St. Gilden or Wolfgang for 4 nites. (Any suggestions where to stay- prefer lake views)
Day 2 (10/6) Salzburg ( 4 nites)
• Join tours to Lake District Salzkammergut
• Lake Fuschlsee
Day 3 (11/6) Salzburg
• Hallstatt, Ice caves
Day 4 (12/6) Salzburg
• The Sound Of Music Tour
• City Tour
• Mirabell Gardens
Day 5- (13/6) Salzburg-Berchtesgaden ( 1 nite)
• From Salzburg to take bus to Berchtesgaden .
• Tours in Berchtesgaden
Day 6- (14/6)Berchtesgaden- Garmisch Partenkirchen (Gapa). (3 nites)
• Question- Do we pick up rental car and drive to Garmisch Partenkirchen (Gapa). Or by train? Bus to Gapa and pick up rental car in Gapa?
• Explore Gapa town. Partnach gorge
• Base in Gapa
Day 7 – (15/6) Garmisch Partenkirchen
• Drive to Zugzpiste, Ettal,
• Linderhof ( if possible)
Day 8 – (16/6) Fussen- Stuttgart ( staying in Stuttgart- 4 nites)
• Leave Garmisch and drive to Neuschwentein Castle
• Head out to Stuttgart
Day 9- (17/6) Stuttgart
• Spend time with family who lives in Sttutgart
Day 10 – (18/6) Stuttgart
• Day trip to Tubingen or Eslingen
Day 11- (19/6) Stuttgart
• Day trip to Sasbachwalden ( Black Forest- if possible) or Baden Baden
Day 12- (20/6) Rottensburg or Dinkelsbuhl?? hmm
• Spend a nite either in one of the above town.
Day 13-(21/6) Frankfurt
• Sightseeing in Frankfurt
Day 14- (22/6) Back Home
• Drop off car at airport.
• Catch flight at 11.30 am