Please sign in to post.

Germany - 10 days. How to Plan Itinerary

I am new to this forum, so hopefully some wiser people can advise me! We are planning a trip next year and will have ten days in Germany. We have not been to Germany before. I have been looking at the German itinerary suggestion on this site. For 10 days it suggests:
3 days -Munich, Bavarian castles
5 days - add Rhine Valley, Rothenburg
7 days - add More of Bavaria and Tirol, side-trip to Salzburg
10 days - add Berlin
We like to see big cities, such as Berlin, but would like to break the stays up with smaller town stays, as we find these small-town stays a bit more relaxing. If we can find some pretty small towns that we can use as a base to explore, that would be great. This site suggests opting (as a suggestion for smaller towns such as Beilstein, Staufen, and mid-size Wurzburg)
We would like to see the Rhine, ?Black Forest (maybe a day trip, rather than hiring a car - not sure)
We are not sure as yet if we should hire a car. Last year we hired a car in France and managed ok driving on the other side of the road, but we mainly drove in small villages. We found the train travel great in France, and more relaxing than worrying about driving, but I realise you don't see as much. Not sure which way to go....
I should mention that we also intend to visit France, and Amsterdam before or after this (not in the ten days!), What would be the best way to organise this? We will be flying from Australia.

Posted by
544 posts

If you pick up Rick's book on Germany there's a 3-week itinerary that you could start with and cut out enough to fit your time limits and what you want to do. I think you're right about driving being sometimes more stressful, but I think it'll be a lot easier to have a car to maximize your time especially between small towns. The autobahn freeways are pretty nice too!

Posted by
18 posts

Thanks Nordheim. I have a lot of research to do. Is there a 'point A-point B' that we could hire a car from, that would not be travelling through big cities?
Any advice appreciated.

Posted by
6626 posts

Link to my response on your other post

About trains/cars:

"We found the train travel great in France, and more relaxing than worrying about driving, but I realise you don't see as much."

If you liked trains in France, you'll adore them in Germany, where train travel is comprehensive, dependable, and inexpensive. The route I suggested and the destinations included in the links I provided can be done easily by train (with the occasional bus connection, as in the case of Bernkastel on the Mosel River.)

I think you see much MORE when you aren't focused on the asphalt or the road signs or traffic around you or the Garmin.

Train route along the Mosel River