Please sign in to post.

German Rail Pass or Twin Pass November 2023

Does anyone have a valid link to purchase a DB twin pass?
The DB links on the Germany page give an error code 404 not found.
U can get to checkout on the DB site but the purchase does not go through.
We purchased the passes in May and August of this year through the DB site with no problems and used the digital ticket.
I have tried different browsers, cleared my cache, emailed DB three times with no response.
Eurail is an alternative but about $200 Euro more.
Any ideas?

Posted by
6643 posts

The old German Rail passes sold by DB are gone. They're now available as one-country passes from Eurail.com but pricier, for sure.

There are ways to obtain flexibility and value with other DB options. My suggestion to you is to share the train journeys you would have made with the rail pass on this forum so that you will be informed on those alternatives before doing your eurail-pass shopping.

Posted by
3 posts

SBahn
Munich Airport to Munich HBF
Then ICE
Munich to Nuremberg
Nuremberg to Leipzig
Leipzig to Hamburg
Hamburg to Aachen
Aachen to Köln
Köln to Heidelberg
Heidelberg to Munich
SBahn
Munich HBF to Munich Airport

Posted by
20099 posts

Munich to Nuremberg can be done with a Bayern Ticket on regional trains.
Aachen to Koeln can be done with a VRS local network ticket.

With 5 long trips remaining, a 5-day German Twin Flex is about 500 EUR, or 50 EUR per person. If you are willing to buy nonrefundable train-specific tickets now, you can probably beat that. Otherwise, you'll have to live with that price.

Posted by
20099 posts

But it only shows continuous passes and a 15-day is 769 EUR for a twin. Eurail flex is a better deal. OP does not say the time length of the trip.

Posted by
3 posts

Thank you for all the replies
We are looking for a 15 day continuous pass.
I found a special through Eurail.

Posted by
6643 posts

So you are considering the 15-day continuous pass for two at $870 2nd class or $1198 in first class... correct? What are the start-and end dates for your trip?

Posted by
6643 posts

In the absence of your travel dates... I like Sam's advice for the 5-day flexi. The sale shows that pass for two for $488, or €447 in Euros. I'd use it for these ICE trips...

Nuremberg to Leipzig
Leipzig to Hamburg
Hamburg to Aachen
Köln to Heidelberg
Heidelberg to Munich

And I'd do the following trips by regional train, for which no advance-purchase tickets are needed. Just buy at the station as you go from a ticket machine or using the DB app. Total is €128.

Munich Airport to Munich HBF (€30, Airport Plus ticket)
Munich to Nuremberg (€36, Bayern Ticket, day pass for regional train)
Aachen to Köln (€32, Schoener Tag Ticket, day pass for regional train)
Munich HBF to Munich Airport (€30, Airport Plus ticket)

Note that these regional-train tickets all come with bus, subway, and tram privileges on the same day for no additional charge. Railpass days do not provide this benefit.

Subtotal for regional train trips = €128.
Railpass = €447.

€575 would be your total.

Posted by
20099 posts

And I would add that if you are going straight to Nuremberg from Munich airport, that first 30 EUR airport ticket would be eliminated as it is included with the Bayern Ticket.

7 cities in 15 days sounds like a whirlwind Christmas Market tour.

Posted by
14510 posts

If you intend to opt for a pass, I would suggest not choosing the "continuous" pass. I use the senior pass but never a continuous. When purchased during a promo plus a senior discount , the savings are well worth it given your per travel day expense.