Please sign in to post.

German Rail Pass

I ordered a twin german rail pass from bahn de on July 27. Any idea how long processing and delivery normally take??? I ordered on line obviously. I have sent two messages to the identified site, and hope to get a response. I checked with my credit card and learned that they just asked for clearance 4 days ago. Anyone with experience?? We leave the USA Sept , I realize there is some time, however am getting a little nervous.
thx

Posted by
20094 posts

I receive mailings from Germany and it always seems like I get them at least 2 weeks after the postmark date. If they just cleared your credit card 4 days ago, I would assume that is the date they mailed them. I would just use the DB contact box and ask them when they mailed them.

Posted by
16893 posts

I hope you receive them in time. However, this is the reason that I advised you not to use that method of ordering.

Posted by
211 posts

gotta em. thanks for the thought.

Posted by
19092 posts

Just one more problem with using a rail pass, the first one being it will probably cost more than full fare and advance purchase tickets and regional passes.

Why did you order the pass from the Bahn vs. a stateside seller, like Rick Steves? Was the price for the pass really lower? A lot of times buying from the Bahn will incur a 3% credit card transaction charge, since the purchase is made in Germany.

Posted by
6641 posts

"Why did you order the pass from the Bahn vs. a stateside seller, like Rick Steves?"

Rick Steves sales = buying from Raileurope, which charges $18 for delivery, I believe, $36 express. I don't know what DB charges for delivery. Maybe less? What did you pay for DB to ship to you, gary?

Of course a rail pass from Deutsche Bahn can be bought at major stations in Germany and many airport stations upon arrival. No way the mail can lose that pass, and no shipping fees either. (And why not buy it there? If for any reason you should need to refund a pre-purchased rail pass, you will pay a hefty fee.)

The German rail pass has become more and more attractive over the last couple of years, mainly because of the addition of previously unavailable routes outside Germany. Also, DB has been offering 20% discounts on certain passes - typically you must pre-order these and have them delivered. Certain varieties of DB G-rail passes (5-, 10- and 15-day consecutive) can now be downloaded and printed at home if you wish (and if you can live with the refund policy) - OR you can get them in Germany. As I understand it, the flexi passes cannot be downoloaded and must be pre-purchased/mailed - OR you can get them in Germany. Aside from the promotional and maybe the downloadable tickets, I really don't understand why so many visitors to Germany want to pre-purchase a German rail pass - the DB agents at the stations in Germany are there to help you get what you need and want (and with no chance that you'll foul up an online-purchase.)

"A lot of times buying from the Bahn will incur a 3% credit card transaction charge, since the purchase is made in Germany."

AFAIK Capital One continues its no-transaction-fee practices. You'll get a fee from most other bank cards - it may be in the form of an itemized charge, or it may be hidden in the official exchange rate, but you'll still get stung one way or the other.

Posted by
211 posts

thanks lee and russ. I purchased the twin pass in part for convenience. I also wanted flexibility in the event we altered our itinerary. I used a credit card with no foreign charge (Chase Sapphire) and there was no delivery charge. Also, want a quick getaway in frankfurt upon arrival.

Posted by
14509 posts

@ Gary...The last couple of years 2015, and 2016 my Pass arrived exactly within a week after placing the order on-line, even I had indicated the Pass was not needed in a hurry, ie, ordering the Pass in mid-March, departing in late May. But eight days later it arrived from Eurail, and I've never paid for shipping...it's free.