Please sign in to post.

German Rail Pass

Hi
We a group of 5 will be travelling for 20 days in Germany with a 2 day each visit to Innsbruck, Salzburg and Prague
I am confused as to whether I should buy 15 days German Travel Pass or theRegional passes like Bayern.
Can someone help me? In Germany we will be staying at Munich. Berlin, Frankfurt

Posted by
6650 posts

What are your travel dates?

How many nights (not days) will you spend in each destination, including the German destinations?

What airport(s) are you using to enter/exit Europe?

What is the composition of your group (adults, ages of any children)??

Are you looking at CONSECUTIVE or FLEXI passes? Maybe the 5-days-in-a-month flexipass? If you find that a GRP ends up being desirable at all, I am guessing FLEXI would work better as you've named 6 destinations over 20 days - and that's about 5 journeys if you fly open jaws. I really cannot understand how a rail pass with 15 travel days might be useful for you.

Prague is not covered by a GRP except by IC Bus - and even then you will pay extra for the required bus reservation.

Some of your journeys (like Munich - Salzburg) might otherwise be accomplished by cheap day pass (like the Bayern Ticket for Munich - Salzburg.) For the long ones, p2p tickets could be purchased in advance online at DB at a discount.

On the surface, it looks like your itinerary is too rushed. You are covering a LOT of ground and probably have too many destinations - as well as big destinations that require a good bit of time. I would consider dropping Innsbruck and/or Frankfurt (but then, I've no clue how/why you made your choices.) Berlin typically requires 4 days (so maybe 4-5 nights.) 2 nights in Prague are insufficient, considering the ground travel times before and after.