Please sign in to post.

German Rail Pass

I am planning to use the German Rail Pass 5 days. On the 5th day, if I take a direct night train departing at 11:30PM, and arrive at my destination at 7AM the following morning, do I need to pay extra, or I can still use my 5 days Rail Pass for this trip?

Posted by
16894 posts

That depends on whether you're talking about a German Pass for 5 consecutive days or 5 travel days within a month. The consecutive-day pass ends firmly at midnight of the 5th day. With a flexi pass, you'd be using one of your travel days, but it would be the day of arrival instead of day of departure; still all trips must start and end within the one-month validity window (such as April 10 - May 9). Couchette and sleeper reservations are extra. See also Using Your Rail Pass.

Posted by
83 posts

I think it is the "Select Pass with Germany and Austria", Validity: 5 days in 2 months. I am not planning to stay in Europe for 2 months. So, If I am correct, in my case, the trip will be covered by the Pass, even it counts the arrival day because I only stay in Europe for about 20 days. Please let me know if I am correct. Thanks.

Posted by
16894 posts

Yes, that works fine. A direct night train uses one of the counted travel days, not two, and it's the day of arrival. If you had another train later on the arrival day, it would still be covered until midnight.

Posted by
83 posts

Thank you again. Can anyone suggest me a good site where I can check train schedule to plan out my trip? I am planning to do some overnight train, but really want to plan out the trip with exact time.

Posted by
19156 posts

Actually, this page on the Bahn website is the one to use for schedules. Starting at Bahn.de will get you here eventually. Why not start here?

Posted by
83 posts

I have another Rail Pass related question. I will also take the Rhine River cruise with KD. I read somewhere else that I can ride the cruise for free with the Rail Pass, but it will cost a travel day. If, in the morning, I take the train to get to Bingen with Rail Pass, then catch the cruise from Bingen to Sankt Goar. After Sankt Goar, will take the train back to Bingen. Will all these train and cruise combination be counted as one day travel, or train travel as one day, and cruise alone as extra day of travel?

Posted by
16894 posts

Please read the links that I provided earlier. Each counted travel days lasts until midnight, aside from the night train exception. You can take as many trains on that day as you like. K-D Line Rhine and Mosel boats are now only discounted 20% with a pass, which need not be on a counted travel day; that policy change was made over a year ago.

Posted by
14580 posts

@ calvinsun91 ...When you receive the rail pass, which should not take more than 7-8 days after you place your order on-line, along with the pass is a rail map, a booklet with instructions and good info on using the Pass. The information pertaining to questions on taking boat rides on the Rhine is included as is info on ferry lines between Germany and Finland, Sweden. etc and which discounts apply, plus night train info. When I order the Pass on-line, say on a Tues, the Pass arrives by the following Tues or Wed. and no extra charge for shipping, postage, whatever. I pay only the exact cost of the Pass.