Please sign in to post.

German Christmas markets opening date in 2023?

I always thought it was US Thanksgiving weekend but a friend told me it’s later this year because Advent is later - December 1. I need to know because of my RT airfare to Frankfurt I booked this morning (I may need to change my dates).

TIA!

Posted by
13 posts

This year November 27th to December 21st for the market closest to Frankfurt Hauptbahnhof railway station. It is about a 20 minute walk or you can take public transport. We did this market last year however our hotel was in between the two so the walk time is a rough estimate. Their website is https://www.frankfurt-tourismus.de/en/Discover-Experience/Festivals-Events/frankfurt-christmas-market

Other Christmas markets open as early as November 23rd.

Posted by
541 posts

There are lots and lost of markets all over Germany and close to Frankfurt. One close by that is GREAT is in the city of Mainz.

Posted by
2469 posts

This is all great information. I was looking at Mainz, Frankfurt and Cologne. Maybe Strasbourg & Colmar. Since I only have 7 nights, I was thinking:
1 night in Frankfurt, arrival day
2 nights in Cologne,
1 night Mainz
2 nights Strasbourg & a day trip to Colmar.
1 night in Frankfurt, then fly home next morning.

Using trains. Please advise if I have a good ordering of my itinerary.

Posted by
10225 posts

Why not go directly to Cologne when you arrive? From there go to Strasbourg/Colmar, then Mainz, then Frankfurt. Use that night saved from not staying in Frankfurt the first night by adding it to either Mainz or Frankfurt. FYI I’m also doing a Xmas market trip in December and we are staying in Strasbourg as opposed to Colmar. The market in Colmar is apparently only open on the weekend, and we will be there on weekdays. We have 4 nights and will do a day trip to Colmar, as the friend who I’m traveling with has never been. My husband and I spent 4 nights in Colmar in March 2022.

Posted by
1481 posts

The Christmas Market opening dates are set by each town and vary a bit.

We did a google search for each town that we considered visiting. We picked the Christmas Markets to match our dates.

Posted by
3112 posts

You are convincing me to think about a German Christmas market trip instead of Vienna…….

Posted by
2469 posts

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. I have changed my plans after talking to a friend who knows German Christmas markets very well and has also lived in Germany.
I will now fly directly into Munich, arrival Sun. Dec. 3, train to:
2 nights in Regensburg, train to:
2 nights in Nürnberg, train to:
2 nights in Rothenburg.
Looping back to Munich via train, spend last night there.
Fly home on Mon. Dec 11.

I welcome suggestions about things to do in each town. She gave me the names of hotels where she has stayed.

I feel good about this routing in that it’s simple and I think maximizes my time.

Posted by
1481 posts

In general make reservations for dinner.

Nürnberg is very famous and very crowded in the evening. Do your shopping during the day. Use the evenings for atmosphere. There is a craft area near the train station that has different wares from most markets. I best like to visit of its most famous churches: Sebaldeskirche, Frauenkirche and Lorenzkirche,

Rothenburg ob der Tauber. The market is small. The atmosphere is the draw of the town for me. We also like walks outside the wall into the Tauber Valley. The souvenir shops convert to Christmas Market goods this time of year, good for shopping out of a cold December rain. I always take a walk into the city garden to look down into the Tauber River valley.

Regensburg is the most scenic for me. The town is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. There are two Christmas Markets: one in town and one at the Thurn and Taxis Palace (fee charged). The city streets, alleys and plazas make for scenic walks. The Cathedral is large and spectacular. I also like the facade of the Shottenkirche (Scottish Church) St. Jacob, which has mermen and sea monsters. The church at the Thurn and Taxis Palace is also worth a visit. Wikipedia does a good job on the history and sights of Regensburg.

Posted by
6390 posts

I have no idea when Thanksgiving is, and neither does most Europeans. But Christmas markets are traditionally held during Advent, at least in the Germanic parts of Europe. Exact dates varies from market to market, but e.g. the large market in Nürnberg opens on the friday before Advent sunday.

Posted by
2469 posts

Gary Mc and others,
Thanks for your advice. My friend has informed me I can take a train directly from the Munich airport, about 1-1/2 hours, to Regensburg on Dec. 3, my day of arrival. So I think I will add a night to Nürnberg, 3 nights in all, as it’s larger and has so much to do.
So I will still have 2 nights in Regensburg, 3 for Nürnberg and 2 for Rothenburg. The last night, Dec. 10, in Munich or near the Munich airport. I’ve heard about Freising is a charming area. I will look into staying there.

Any other thoughts?

Badger, the US Thanksgiving is early this year, Nov. 23, because there are five weeks in Nov. this year. Thanksgiving is the 4th Thursday of Nov.