Please sign in to post.

German Christmas Markets

I am booked for a cruise to the German markets next month. I’m from a part of Texas where we rarely have true winters. I am also of the age where I generate my own flashes of heat, if you know what I mean. I’m racking my brain trying to figure out the best coat(s) to take along. Don’t want heavier than needed but don’t want to freeze. Thinking medium coat with cardigan layered under? Help please!

Posted by
143 posts

I’ve been on many Christmas Market cruises. I’m from CA. I recommend a packable down coat, a rain coat with a hood, and a lighter polartec jacket. A knit hat, scarf and gloves are a must, but you can buy them at the first market you visit. I take a pair of jeans and a pair of synthetic blend pants. It might snow but it will rain!

Posted by
2715 posts

I think you need a waterproof layer in case it rains. Even if it snows, you will need something waterproof or at least water resistant if you're going to be outside for any length of time. Then you need a couple of other layers -- a fleece or wool sweater and a lightweight down jacket is ideal. If it's really cold, you can wear all three; if it's warmer, you can choose one or two. I would also bring long underwear to wear under your pants or leggings. You may not need it, but it won't take much room. I would not take jeans; they are hell in rain, especially if it's cold.

Posted by
656 posts

(Ha, we were all answering at the same time & basically saying the same things which is nice!) Hi there, unfortunately those flashes of heat are often followed with the sweats, so then you might get chilled... Personally I don't wear cardigans because I find the combo below effective, but it's nice in the evenings to have one, so take it!

I would take a rainproof jacket. Some people say ponchos (which will just blow around in the wind) but I would spend the $$ for something more substantial. I bought a longer LL Bean coat with a liner, that covers my light weight puffer jacket, Uniqlo has good ones, or Costco, (super light weight & packable) and size up on the rain coat so it fits well. Silk long underwear doesn't weigh much and would add an extra layer on chilly days on board. I would take rain pants on that trip, would hate to have to go shopping. WATERPROOF boots - I wear Merrill's Moab 2. These are well-broken in. Great on cobblestones. Smart wool socks, wool cap & gloves. You can always take off layers, but Germany could easily be rainy with some snow, I'm colder there than in Sweden in lower temps due to the humidity. (PS, I take hiking boots & flip flops for hotels & wear trainers on plane.) Bon Voyage!

Posted by
2415 posts

On our trip the temps were right about freezing ( 32F ) with one evening of light snow. Do layers and be sure to have a stocking hat or earmuffs and gloves

Posted by
465 posts

Don't neglect good shoes--you do a lot of standing at markets, and wet cobbles can be slippery. Wool socks and maybe leggings of some kind are probably not a bad idea, particularly if you aren't used to the cold. In fact, wool is your friend all around since it keeps you warm even if it is wet, and it generally quite breathable. And as others have said, a good rain coat or poncho of some kind is important. It can be anywhere from -5 to 10 degrees Celsius (low 20s up to 50 Fahrenheit), so layers are important. And yes, hat, scarf, and gloves are key.

You have to drink a lot of Glühwein if that is your plan for staying warm, and that would not bode well for walking a straight line since Glühwein has a tendency to hit people hard! Markets are mostly outdoor, so be sure to plan for extended time outside in the cold. If you are dressed properly, you will love it. If you are cold, they are no fun. I know Rick is a minimalist re: packing, but in this case packing too much and leaving it in your accommodation is better than being cold--and outerwear can be reworn a lot!