Please sign in to post.

Garmisch Partenkirchen

We will be visiting the Oktoberfest in Munich this September. We will also spend 4 days in Garmich Partenkirchen. We would like to do some hiking there. Does anyone know of someone gentle hikes in the area?

Posted by
1293 posts

Some up hill streches, but I have always enjoyed a walk up to and around the Rießersee near the old Olympics Bob Sled run. A little farther and you are at the Alpspitzbahn. Another favorite is up to the Kriegergedächtniskapelle Garmisch and further to the Berggasthof Almhütte (check for opening times). Don't miss a short walk along/near the Loisach for some older Garmisch. Walking around the Eibsee or part is usually nice. Some days it is calm and reflects like mirror (my winter walks). Take the Wankbahn up and walk around the summit. Great view of Garmish towards the Zugspitz. https://www.foto-webcam.eu/webcam/wank/

Just something I want to add... I have never been here but looks interesting: Burgruine Werdenfels und Pflegersee. Funny thing about Burgruine, they're always uphill!

Posted by
7668 posts

Many years ago, I did the two day hike up to the near top of the Zugspitze from Garmisch. Did it in July, not sure about doing it in September. It wasn't mountain climbing, it was a hike.