Please sign in to post.

Fussen and castles

Well I didn't get tickets fast enough for Sun April 17th (easter) for the castles and I am on schedule. Any ideas?

Thanks

Posted by
32517 posts

go a different day? Go and see it from the outside (the best bit anyway)?

Posted by
1357 posts

Just a few years ago we lined up in the morning before the ticket office opened and were able to obtain tickets for both castles in about 15 minutes.

Posted by
1275 posts

I understand your disappointment. Can you get into Hohenschwangau only and see Neuschwanstein the best you can from the outside? Maybe some history of when Ludwig II of Bavaria lived in Hohenschwangau and watched the building of Neuschwanstein from there (telescope)? As I stated in another post maybe a hike around the Schwannsee or up to the Kalvarienberg. Both provide some nice long distance views of both castles and some nature too. Maybe something about how his (Ludwig II) mother Marie of Prussia enjoyed hiking in the surrounding mountains?

Posted by
3777 posts

If they don’t have tickets at the window that morning, it is still a nice day out. They have a lovely lake and a museum separate from the castles. I’m trying to remember if you can walk across Mary’s Bridge bypassing the castle entrance. The views are beautiful. Maybe someone else can help me out with a yes or no.

Posted by
220 posts

Mary's Bridge was closed when I went in late October--- so maybe check their website to see if it is opened, the whole path was closed off to visitors--a bit of a bummer but there are other nice views if you take the bus up there and the surrounding area is lovely.

Posted by
4614 posts

A private tour company may have tickets.

We did the standing in line at 8:00am- it was an hour in line to get tickets for that day. The earliest tickets we could get were 3 hours later.

Then we stood in line for the bus to the N'stein Castle, and stood in line at the entrance with our timed ticket. And- the mediocre [IMHO] tour was only 30 minutes, with poor acoustics. [Search for the many comments here on the Forum.]

If your heart is set on it, go for it. But an alternative is seeing the smaller Hohenschwangau Palace, which is easier to get tickets for, and just hike uphill about 40 minutes to the area around N'stein. Get you pictures, enjoy the view, and walk back down, an easy 20 minutes.

Good luck!