Please sign in to post.

Frankfurt train station

If you’re going to be using the train from the Frankfurt airport or in Frankfurt itself, and you don’t speak German, then familiarize yourself with the way places and locations are spelled. There are ticket kiosks everywhere and lots of people who want to use them, and I mean LOTS of people. Everyone seemed to be in a big hurry and I had a feeling of frustration. It’s not anything as easy as it looks on television. Repairs were being done in the station in Frankfurt on escalators which caused bottlenecks of people. The tourist office people write things down but it would’ve helped having them with us. It took two and a half hours after we landed at Frankfurt airport to arrive at our hotel across from the train station. The signs through the airport were well marked but It’s a BIG airport. Had we not had a kind German walk us through it, we’d still be there trying to figure it out. We’re taking a taxi back to the airport tomorrow and avoiding the train.

Posted by
3856 posts

Pre-arranged pick up to and from the airport is one of the little luxuries we allow ourselves on trips. It sets to mood for our vacation. And, after reading posts like this one, it reaffirms our decision.

Posted by
8 posts

Any advice for someone flying into Frankfurt and immediately getting on a train to Koblenz?

Posted by
19099 posts

Any advice for someone flying into Frankfurt and immediately getting on a train to Koblenz?

Go down to the Regionalbhf (note, there are two train stations at the airport, the Regionalbhf is closer in). Buy a local (RMV=Rhein-Main Verkehrsverbund) ticket to Mainz and a Rheinland-Pfalz Länder Ticket (an all day pass valid in the Land (state) of Rheinland-Pfalz. Take the next regional train (S-Bahn, RB or RE) to Mainz with the RMV ticket, then you can use the Rheinland-Pfalz-Ticket for the Regional Express (RE) to Koblenz.

Look at the schedule board, or ask at a ticket counter. There is sometimes an RE from the airport direct to Koblenz. The RMV ticket is still valid on the RE until you get to Mainz; the RL-P-Ticket will cover you to Koblenz.

Posted by
20144 posts

But only if it is more than 1 person. A single person can just buy a ticket, select "local transport only" and ride for 26.90 EUR, 2 EUR less than using the RMV + R-P ticket. 2 to 5 people traveling together will save big using the RMV + R-P ticket. If 4 to 5 people, save a little more buying an RMV price level 4 group day ticket instead of RMV single trip tickets.

And, of course, make sure you travel via Mainz, not Frankfurt.

Posted by
8946 posts

How to find the train station in this huge airport? To start with, there are two train stations. If you are just coming into Frankfurt or going to Mainz or Wiesbaden, you should follow the signs for Regional Trains or S-Bahn. (look for the big green S) This station is under Terminal 1 by Arrival Hall B-1, and the signs will be in English. Just take the escalator downstairs and for Frankfurt, go to track #1. For Mainz or Wiesbaden, you would go to track #3. This is where the S-bahns 8 and 9 normally stop. Regional trains may also stop here and the ones that are on track #2 are usually going only to the Frankfurt Hauptbahnhof or Sudbahnhof. You can also ride these with your ticket.

If you are catching a long distance train like the ICE, it will depart or arrive at the Fernbahnhof - or Long Distance Train station. All you need to do is follow the signs, though this is located sort of across from Terminal 1. If you land at Terminal 2, simply take the Sky Train, which is a monorail that takes you to Terminal 1. It should only take about 5-6 minutes to go from Terminal 2 down to the Regional Train station.

Cost - a single ticket, one way (einzel fahrt) costs 4.90 €. This ticket will take you into Frankfurt city center by train, and is also valid to get to your final destination by tram, bus, S-bahn or U-bahn, as long as you keep traveling without a break. An all day ticket (Ganz Tag) for one person that includes travel to and from the airport as well as all public transportation in the city, is 9.55 €. Going to Mainz or Wiesbaden from the airport, will cost the same amount as a ticket to Frankfurt. This is a better deal than buying 2 one-way tickets.

A group day ticket, called a "Collective Ticket" on the ticket machine (Gruppen karte) will cost 16.60 €. This ticket is good for up to 5 people and is valid all day long, getting to and from the airport and on all forms of transportation in Frankfurt. This is the best choice for 2 or more people. These are NOT 24 hour tickets, they are only good for the day of purchase until the trains, etc. stop running for the day, usually around 1 a.m. Going to Mainz or Wiesbaden from the airport costs the same amount as going to Frankfurt from the airport, but only in one direction. This ticket will not get you to all 3 cities for this price.
The names of all people using a group ticket must be written on the ticket as of 2018

• Single ticket adult - 4.90 €
  • All day ticket for one adult including travel to and from the airport is: 9.55 €
  • All day ticket for a group of up to 5 including travel to and from the airport is: 16.60 €

The RMV and DB share ticket machines and they are all touch screens. They switch into English and are fairly user friendly. The machines take coins, 5 and 10 euro bills for single tickets and if you are getting a group ticket it will take a 20 euro bill. It will NOT take a 50 euro bill. Change will be in coins.
RMV machines do not take American credit cards for local travel, but the DB does for longer distance tickets.
In Frankfurt you do not need to validate your ticket unlike some other cities in Germany. It is all on the honor system. If you do not have a valid ticket, you will be fined 60 euro immediately.
There is a DB Travel Center located right next to the escalators for the Regional Train Station. They can print your tickets for you (this will cost you 2 euro), take credit cards for payments and give you information about schedules.
If you need to store your luggage at the airport, cost per bag will be 5€ for 3 hours or less and 8 € per bag for more than 3 hours up to 24 hours. The better deal is to bring your carry-on into the city and store it in the lockers located along track 23 in the main train station. Cost is between 3-5 € and the 5 € lockers are big enough for about 4 carry-on back-pa

Posted by
14527 posts

I take the S-Bahn to get from the central train station , ie from Hbf to FRA...mostly. Other times I took the regional train. There are tons of people at FRA, all coming and going. FRA is the main connecting airport, it is also the most Americanized airport in Germany, plus well organised. . Immigration and baggage claim upon landing I figure on 1.5 hrs to finish, even though there were times at other airports such as London Heathrow where upon arriving from SFO in the afternoon Immigration and Baggage Claim went almost if not 2hrs, made no difference to me anyway since I was not connecting.

Posted by
4007 posts

If you’re going to be using the train from the Frankfurt airport or in
Frankfurt itself, and you don’t speak German, then familiarize
yourself with the way places and locations are spelled. There are
ticket kiosks everywhere and lots of people who want to use them, and
I mean LOTS of people. Everyone seemed to be in a big hurry and I had
a feeling of frustration. It’s not anything as easy as it looks on
television. Repairs were being done in the station in Frankfurt on
escalators which caused bottlenecks of people.

If there are bottlenecks at Frankfurt HBF, I would avoid it unless one's final destination is Frankfurt. The Frankfurt Airport rail station is easy as can be and one doesn't have to speak fluent German to take the train after arrival from a transatlantic flight. Easy signage as well.

By the way, of course people are in a hurry. This is no different from American rail terminals/stations in major cities like New York, Boston & DC. That's the hustle & bustle of life in front of you!!

Posted by
129 posts

Thanks Ms. Jo. Perfect timing. I am taking the train from Aachen to FRA tomorrow (Saturday) morning after a week of business and staying at the airport Hilton for a Sunday flight. Will have the day to kill in the city. Ganz Tag sounds like a winner.

Posted by
8946 posts

Waldchestag is going on this weekend in the City Forest. This is a special Frankfurt fest to celebrate our massive City Forest. Might be fun. You just missed our Green Sauce Festival though. Sat. is the last day. Big Rubens Exhibit at the Städel. The Pealing of the Bells is on Sat. at 16:30 in case you get to Frankfurt earlier. 50 bells from 10 churches for 30 min.

Posted by
129 posts

Nice, a festival is happening and I happen to be in town. This is the very reason why I live traveling in Europe. Count me as an attendee. Thank you.

Edit—and I’m at the festival. Definitely a blast, but not for the highbrow set. Some rides, some carnival games, and about a million food stands and beer gardens. My kind of event

I wonder if Rick has ever been here. How could he possibly pass up the chance to film a German speaking Asian guy trying to sing “Sweet Caroline” in English at the karaoke stage?

So much funner than the Reubans exhibition.

Posted by
8946 posts

We went today too. Pretty large fest in the forest and the view from the top of the Ferris Wheel is fantastic. They are all ready for the game tonight at 20:00. This will be a BIG party.

Have tried to get Rick to come to at least one of the festivals here, like the Museum Riverbank Fest, the Green Sauce Fest, and various festivals in the neighborhoods.