Please sign in to post.

Frankfurt for Christmas

Hello, I'm a Mum with two kids - 5yr old and 19yr old traveling to Frankfurt on Dec 16- Jan 1 from Asia and we'll be celebrating Christmas with friends there.. I have enough time pre christmas and post christmas to travel out of Frankfurt via train or plane. I need suggestions on where to go with my two kids.. It'll be our first time and would love to see new places that all of us would enjoy. Would Portugal be too far to go visit? and perhaps something not too expensive would be a plus. Thank you and look forward to your suggestions!!

Posted by
2246 posts

Around Frankfurt you will find some interesting towns and places worth to visit
_____o red carpet for local expert Ms. Jo. :-)

Berlin and Munich are easily reachable by direct trains of Deutsche Bahn. Berlin has normally a cheaper price level than Munich.

In Berlin you will find Christmas markets for every taste, e.g. the one at Rotes Rathaus with "flying" Santa for the little kid. Some info about Christmas markets in Berlin and how Christmas "works" in Berlin.

Of course you will find Christmas markets all over Germany, e.g. the largest in Cologne, in Bavaria very much Chistkindl, in the northern more Lucia oriented, or so called traditional ones like in Nuremberg, Dresden and other places. But to be very open: how traditional a market can be that is built every year new??? Finally a question of taste.

Portugal is 3-4 hrs flight from FRA - would not recommend it at that date of travel. By train you can also get to Switzerland to approach areas with snow (question of altitude). On the way there is theme park Europa-Park in Rust for the kids.

Posted by
1294 posts

Do you experience a winter with snow where you are coming from in Asia? Chances are there will be no snow in Frankfurt. 16 Dec would be about the beginning of ski season, but not high season yet in the Alps. Christmas - New Years is the beginning of High season. Maybe a trip to Austria where there may/will be snow and all the decorations for Weihnachten. The classic look of Alpine mountain villages in winter around the holidays. It will be dark at @16:30 and light beginning at @0830.. Possibly sled riding: https://www.rodelfuehrer.de/ You would have to do some checking...

Posted by
4 posts

Thank you so much for your kind replies.. you think Austria would be good for the 5yr old travelling? Any recommendation what can do for that age as well in both Austria And Frankfurt?

Thank you