Please sign in to post.

Frankfurt connection

I am flying Porto Portugal to Seattle with a 1 hour layover in Frankfurt. What checkpoints will I have to go thru in Frankfurt and is 1 hour enough time?

Posted by
7850 posts

You will go through passport control in Frankfurt. 1 hour is enough time if the first flight arrives on time.

Posted by
72 posts

Personally, I would never accept a flight with a one hour layover in Frankfurt. Frankfurt is a very large airport and having to clear customs before you can proceed to you next gate is rolling of the dice if the line is long or not.

Posted by
4862 posts

Just a note that you won't go through Customs in Frankfurt, just Passport Control. You will have to clear Customs when you first land in the US. But one hour is a very short connection time; and if you need to change terminals, if Passport Control is backed up, or if your first flight is delayed, you may be in trouble. Can you take an earlier flight out of Porto, or a later one from Frankfurt?

Posted by
6547 posts

One hour should be be enough time if your flight arrives on time, but you won’t have time to linger. On one occasion my connecting flight had already started boarding when I arrived at the gate. To me, that’s cutting it too close. What made that experience worse was I had the SSSS on my boarding pass and had the extra security screening. On another occasion a lady held up the line at immigration because her husband had stopped to do something and had the passports. He showed up after about 5 minutes.

Posted by
63 posts

As others stated, you will go through passport control. One hour could be really tight. That said, coming from Italy yesterday we connected in Frankfurt and made it to our connecting flight gate in about 20 minutes. Factors included — Both flights were on same airline (Lufthansa). Our flight arrived on time and in the same terminal as our connecting flight (terminal 1). Our arriving flight deplaned directly into the terminal (i.e. no bus involved to get to terminal). There was no line at passport control and our connecting flight gate was immediately after passport control. Thus, we lIkely had best possible set of factors.

Posted by
7312 posts

John, are the two tickets issued together, maybe by the Transatlantic carrier? You might have more protection if that is the case. Also, the Transatlantic carrier really needs to see your passport, or know the data it has to transfer to the TSA hours before your arrival in the US.