Please sign in to post.

Frankfurt airport transfer

Hello, all. It's been about 20 years since I last passed though Frankfurt airport. I have a flight booked from Montreal to Barcelona on Lufthansa in October, with a layover / transfer in Frankfurt. ( Not the most direct flight perhaps, but the thought of breakfast in Germany was just too tempting to pass up 😉 ) I fly in and out of Terminal 1, and am traveling with a carry-on only. Can anyone who flies through Frankfurt often tell me what to expect on arrival there? My assumption is that I'll go through immigration, but possibly not customs? Hoping someone will have a bit more insight.

Posted by
8947 posts

There is no customs in Frankfurt unless you look suspicious. You will show your passport and walk out to where ever you are planning on going. Same thing in Spain. No one is going to want to look in your bags in either country.

Posted by
8158 posts

We came out of Tel Aviv in March and changed planes in Frankfurt.

United Airlines couldn't get the travelers on the plane promptly, and we were 90 minutes late getting into Dulles. Our connecting flight had left, and the next two days' flights on a commuter jet into our home airport were full.

We chose to go to Atlanta and had to rent a van in Atlanta for $400 to get us home. We're going to attempt to avoid Frankfurt and United Airlines in the future.

Posted by
307 posts

As noted, when you arrive in FRA you will go through immigration (show your passport) to enter
the EU. Then you will be in Terminal 1 and have access to shops & restaurants in the secure
terminal area.

Frankfurt, unlike Munich, is a large and cumbersome airport. Many flights park on the tarmac
and you get bussed to/from the main terminal. If your connecting flight is far out on the A gate
level, it's a long walk. With a 2 hour or less connecting time, breakfast will be a hit or miss
proposition.

Posted by
269 posts

Thank you, shoeflyer! That level of detail really clears things up. My layover is close to 3 hours, but honestly, even if I just had time for a coffee and some pastries, I'd be a happy girl!

Posted by
269 posts

Miss Jo, I have to laugh at your post! I was hoping I'd see a response from you, as I figured this was your home airport, and you'd tell me if I needed to stress.

David, I can see how such an experience would leave a bad taste in your mouth, but what you described sounds more like an airline issue than an airport issue. I have very fond memories of Germany, and would hate to think you'd give up on the airport because of that bad experience. I'd be more likely to not fly that airline again.

Posted by
954 posts

Went through Frankfurt in April/May. The outbound through Frankfurt to Venice was 2.5 hours and I had plenty of time for a good German breakfast. Passport control was seamless. Coming back only had 90 minutes, plane was delayed out of Rome for an hour. Sprinted through the airport, was able to get through passport control and made my plane 5 minutes before the doors shut. I know some folks don’t like Frankfurt, but I find their passport control very efficient for tight connections.

Posted by
2272 posts

to enter the EU

Heads up: entering Schengen zone is relevant in travel context. Not all EU countries belong to Schengen vice versa (map).