Please sign in to post.

Frankfurt Airport transfer

I will be arriving in Frankfurt from Houston, Texas. According to my research, the flight will be arriving in either the Z Concourse, or the B concourse. I will be transferring to a flight to Naples, Italy, which apparently usually departs from Concourse A. Since I am a senior citizen who can no longer a sprint through airports for a tight connection, I am concerned about making this connection particularly if my flight from Houston has a delayed arrival which has been happening regularly lately.(I have been checking flight status for that route on the Frankfurt Airport app to get a sense of what I might expect.) The flight is scheduled to arrive at 9:20 am and my flight to Naples departs at 11am. Can anyone who is familiar with this airport give me any information and hints about transferring from a Z gate and from a B gate to an A gate. I know that I will have to go through passport control, but will I also have to go through security? I have also read about a tunnel that connects the B gates to the A gates. Is that a faster way to go? Where can I find the tunnel from the B concourse. Any online resources such as interactive maps/videos of the airport that might help me would be greatly appreciated.. Thanks so much for any help you can give me.

Posted by
19092 posts

The A and Z concourses are in the same building. The Z concourse is the top level, the A gates are on the floor below. You will only have to go to the "hinge" of the Z concourse, to immigration (passport check), then go down stairs to the A level, and find your gate. There should not be a security checkpoint to go from Z to A.

That said, the new wing of the Z concourse, gates Z69-Z63, is very long. It's a long walk, almost a half mile, from gate Z69 to immigration.

If you arrive in the B concourse, there will probably be signs to the tunnel to A. I think the tunnel is inside the Schengen part of the concourse; you will probably have to go through immigration in the B concourse before having access to the tunnel. The signs probably won't mention a tunnel, just say it is way to get to A. You will probably have to go through security when you emerge from the tunnel before going into the A concourse.

I think 1H40min is plenty of time to make the change. However, that assumes that the plane arrives on time, and you can never know with a trans-Atlantic flight if it will arrive on time.

Posted by
3 posts

Oops…forgot to mention that it is one ticket. My checked luggage is checked through to my final destination, Naples. I will have a carry-on bag with me. Thanks to those who have replied so far!

Posted by
6502 posts

Before you land, tell a flight attendant that you have a tight connection and ask if you can get some help covering the distance to your A gate. You may get a ride in a cart either before or after immigration, or both. You may get a faster line through immigration. If you miss the connection, the airline will get you and your bags to Naples on the next flight with a seat, theirs or another airline's. They sold you the itinerary, they have to deliver it.

Posted by
102 posts